Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Motorcycle storage

09-25-03, 06:50 AM   #1  
Motorcycle storage

I posted this in the motorcycle section but have recieved no replies so I'm going to post it here.
In a few weeks I'll be headind down to Mexico for the winter. I have a 1967 Honda 65cc scooter.bike in storage. I have the tank full and no gas stablizer in it. It's indoors and off its tires.
When I return I will pull the plug and squirt some oil down the cylinder, hand crank it and drain and refill the tank. Does anyone have any suggestions about anything else I should do. This year I will also bring gas stabilizer and spares. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-25-03, 07:02 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Dump out all the old fluids, put new, fire it up. Done. Clean and polish the bike. Lubricate any points that the manual says to lubricate it (Call Honda for a manual, they should be able to find you one for it).

Visiting Guest

09-25-03, 11:36 AM   #3  
redneck
If you do not use gas stabilizer you will be pulling the carb off the bike to clean all the decomposed gas out of it! Modern gas is only good for two months max. Also, squirt the oil in the cylinders BEFORE you store it to prevent rust formation on the cylinder walls. I own a boat and a bike, and have been doing this every winter and every spring my stuff starts! Small engines like mowers blowers and weed whackers and two strokes in particular are very prone to carb plug up. My buddy ruined his mower and leaf blower last winter not using sta-bil. He learned his lesson (I hope) because he has a very expensive motorcycle that he has not been using sta-bil in and I have been telling him for years to use it!

Visiting Guest

09-25-03, 01:19 PM   #4  
Nascar24Fan
as redneck stated, the fuel will go bad. what i have done to my dirt bikes if stored for an extended period of time is, change the oil, drain the tank, turn off the on/off/reserve, then start it up to run the fuel out of the carb. then take out the spark plug & lubricate with a squirt of wd-40 before placing it in storage. i then turn over easy by hand to coat the cylinder walls.

Visiting Guest

09-26-03, 06:57 AM   #5  
redneck
I like to top the fuel tank off and use sta-bil--it keeps bare metal tank insides from forming rust--which is also not healthy for carbs. Plast.ic tanks are not a problem empty

09-26-03, 07:29 AM   #6  
When down in Mexico I couldn't get gas stabilizer down there. The bike is just a run around town deal and I'm not going to put any serious money into it. Having the carb rebuilt will be impossible is there anything that will break up the gum deposits. Will carb cleaner do it. Thanks for the replies.

Visiting Guest

09-26-03, 07:32 AM   #7  
Joe_F
No, carburetor cleaner will attack the rubber parts of the carburetor.

Just buy the needed parts up here and transport them to Mexico.

There's no "fix in a can" for carburetors. When they get dirty, rebuilding is generally the only option for correct performance.

Search this Thread