Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

serpentine belt 94 suburban

Visiting Guest

09-25-03, 09:39 AM   #1  
daveblan
serpentine belt 94 suburban

My 94 chevy suburban 350 4x4 175k miles, has a problem of throwing the S belt after it sits for a few days. There is usualy a big squeeling noise then the belt throws off the idler pully only. The belt is relativly new, less than 10k miles, and the tensioner seems to be providing tension. In anyones opinion do you think the prob is with the tensioner or the idler pully just under the A/C comp. I want to replace the offending part but would rather not guess at it. All items except belt are orig. equipment. The idler pully seems to turn freely but it does seem to have a bit of play/runout. I can put the belt back on and it runs fine and stays on if the truck is run daily. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-25-03, 09:53 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Sounds like you have found the problem.....

09-25-03, 10:53 AM   #3  
SO IF IT IS DRIVEN DAILY, THE BELT STAYS ON AND IS OKAY?
DOES IT BURN UP? OR JUST FALL OFF?

LA

09-25-03, 11:40 AM   #4  
Idler pulley should not have any "play" in it. Replace the pulley (with bearing) and check bolt for wear.

Visiting Guest

09-25-03, 04:46 PM   #5  
daveblan
Thanks all, I kinda figured that it was the idler pulley. I will have to head down to the GM shop and order one. I suppose a new belt wouldnt be a bad idea either.

LA

09-26-03, 05:13 AM   #6  
Available from your local parts house for a lot less $$. I just replaced tensioner pulley on wifes '97 Bonneville last week. Tensioner pulley was $15.00 from Advance Auto Parts (old Western Auto). Also, pully was steel instead of OEM plastic.
With only 10k miles on belt, I wouldn't change unless obviously damaged.

Visiting Guest

09-26-03, 06:12 AM   #7  
Joe_F
I would change the belt if it's been shot off the pulleys and flipped around like that. It could have gotten cut in the fan and so forth. Why gamble?

09-26-03, 07:50 AM   #8  
Hell yeah, if you're going to do the work of changing out the idler pulley it would almost be criminal not to change the belt.

09-26-03, 08:20 AM   #9  
I'M STILL ON THE FENCE ABOUT THAT IDLER PULLEY.
WHY DOES IT ONLY THROW THE BELT WHEN IT SITS A FEW DAYS?

Visiting Guest

09-27-03, 06:01 PM   #10  
daveblan
I cant explain why it only does this after it sits (ofter for 7days at a stretch) except that we have had rain here about 4 times a week all summer, maybe its a rust thing. I love the big 'burb, but I have to go to the bank for a loan every time I go to fill up the 42 gal tank!! And I will be replacing the belt I checked my book on it and its older than I thought about 20k miles not ten. I mistoke the belt I put on my 91 caprice. I knew I just put a belt on somthing.

Visiting Guest

09-28-03, 02:54 AM   #11  
Joe_F
I don't think anyone buys one of those for fuel economy. LOL.

I gotta say, my Chevy Cavalier takes $20 with today's fuel prices and it holds me all week and then some. I drive 45 miles a day with it.

LA

09-29-03, 05:31 AM   #12  
Big Guy...
I was wondering about that myself (why only after sitting up). I would bet that the belt is sitting on the idler pulley at an angle and develops a memory, like a hose that's been coiled for a while.
When he goes to crank engine, it just threads itself off the next pully. When it's reinstalled, the section with the memory is placed somewhere else where the pulleys are lined up properly.
Just my guess.

09-29-03, 05:41 AM   #13  
I WAS THINKING MORE IN THE POSSABILITY OF SOMETHING LIKE COMPRESSOR SLUGGING, WHERE AN OVERCHARGE OF OIL ACCUMULATES IN THE COMPRESSOR, AND WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED AFTER A FEW DAYS, THE COMPRESSOR WILL NOT SPIN AS IT SHOULD...

09-29-03, 05:58 AM   #14  
I WAS THINKING MORE IN THE POSSABILITY OF SOMETHING LIKE COMPRESSOR SLUGGING, WHERE AN OVERCHARGE OF OIL ACCUMULATES IN THE COMPRESSOR, AND WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED AFTER A FEW DAYS, THE COMPRESSOR WILL NOT SPIN AS IT SHOULD...

Visiting Guest

09-29-03, 08:13 AM   #15  
Joe_F
I agree, sounds like something is binding up somewhere.

Search this Thread