'95 Subaru Legacy - Intermittent Starting problem

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-03, 02:59 PM
jab110
Visiting Guest
'95 Subaru Legacy - Intermittent Starting problem

A friend is selling a '95 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon. He was about ready to sell it anyway, but has developed a problem which made him decide to do it now. I was looking at buying it but being aware of the new problem and i don't want to buy into trouble unless i see that someone out there has seen this problem or feels it's resolvable...

Anyway, it's got about 85,000 miles, very well maintained and serviced. (Sorry, don't know the engine size) but it's a 4 cyl, standard shift.

The problem: about once every 2 or 3 weeks, he gets in the car to start it and it won't kick over. The starter winds up and tries, but it acts like it has no fuel... never fires up. Also, this only happens when it's warm. If he leaves the care alone for an hour and comes back, it fires right up.

Now, he also had a check engine lite start coming on a few months back. Took it to service dept. and they said it indicated bad coolant temperature sensor. They replaced it, check engine lite is all better, but still getting the problem where it won't start once every couple weeks. (I have not had a chance to ask him if the fuel was low whenever it happened, but did just think of it as i was researching the info here abouts...) The service people say they weren't sure that would fix it, but they're at a loss for what else could be causing it. And since it won't do it on demand.... well, kind of hard to diagnose.

Any thoughts or recommendations? It's in very nice shape and i could get it for a very good price, but don't want to buy a headache either. thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-03, 05:30 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check my "The Basics" when it happens to you/him/her again.

Me? You couldn't give me this car. If you did, I'd flip it the next day with a for sale sign on it.

Parts expensive, service hard to get if you don't do it yourself, weird, ugly looking, silly, thin, tinny and overall slow as piss.

Give me a GM rear driver wagon over those or a 4WD pickup truck

Old 09-25-03, 07:33 PM
Dear Joe

You apparently have a problem with anything non- American.

Do you eat pizza?

Old 09-25-03, 10:28 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I have a problem with poorly built cars, which the Subaru is.

Considering that my coworker and I got into an accident with one (he was driving a Chevy Caprice) and the bumper of the Chevy peeled the Subaru's fender like a tin can, exploded the $300 headlight to dust and tore the bumper cover like a banana peel, ya I've got a problem with poor quality.

In talking to the owner at the accident site, he also relayed the car was a money pit. Not to mention this accident put him 3000 in the hole while the Chevy didn't have a scratch, I'd say ya, the Subaru is a problem.

As for pizza, it's just as American as anything else.

However, Subaru has yet to pass their Japanese peer of Toyota which builds a much better car. The sales show it too. Subaru sales are probably half of Toyotas and for good reason.

Those are the facts, sir.

Old 09-26-03, 10:24 AM
I beg to differ! I currently own a '02 WRX and had Subaru 4 door DL when I was in high school. I never had any major problems.

You cannot simply judge a car's quality by how it holds up in an accident. Most newer car bumpers are not designed to hold up, undamaged in an accident. They are designed to protect the occupants.

Have you looked any any of the recent insurance industry crash test results? Which cars held up the best? Subaru '02 - '03 Forresters and Imprezas. Two of the safest cars on the market. The unibody on new Subaru's are incredibly beefy and stiff. Jack up one wheel and the whole front end comes up!

As for quality, the only draw back to Subaru the I can find are lower grade interior plastic materials and some of the interior fit and finish are not quite up to some of the higher end Japanese cars.

Slow as piss??????? You consider 6 seconds 0-60 slow? I assume you are refering to old Subarus but the old Impreza RS isn't exaclty a slow poke either.

I agree with ejones, you do come off as biased.

Sorry for the rant but I couldn't let this one go.

Ross

Originally posted by Joe_F
I have a problem with poorly built cars, which the Subaru is.

Considering that my coworker and I got into an accident with one (he was driving a Chevy Caprice) and the bumper of the Chevy peeled the Subaru's fender like a tin can, exploded the $300 headlight to dust and tore the bumper cover like a banana peel, ya I've got a problem with poor quality.

In talking to the owner at the accident site, he also relayed the car was a money pit. Not to mention this accident put him 3000 in the hole while the Chevy didn't have a scratch, I'd say ya, the Subaru is a problem.

As for pizza, it's just as American as anything else.

However, Subaru has yet to pass their Japanese peer of Toyota which builds a much better car. The sales show it too. Subaru sales are probably half of Toyotas and for good reason.

I think YOU should get your facts straight before you start spewing out this kind of garbage.

Those are the facts, sir.

Old 09-26-03, 11:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If the Subaru works for you, so be it.

It obviously doesn't work for the millions of Toyota and Honda buyers who pass Subaru up without a hitch. Look at the sales figures.

You might wonder why Subaru sales lag FAR behind Toyota and Honda if they are as good as you say they are.

Fact: In the realm of Japanese cars, Toyota and Honda are far superior.

Ummm, I like a car to be safe in an accident. My coworker's Caprice sustained NO damage. Not a scratch. Not a nick, not a piece of dust. The Subaru was DESTROYED.

Coworker of mine was saying when he bought his VW Fox he looked at 1994 Subarus in 1996 or so. Mostly all the ones he looked at were dust underneath, had rotted out and fallen apart. Subarus are known for that. That's piss poor.

Not only that, it was up for sale a week later when I passed the guy's house (and it had been fixed). .

Biased? Hardly. Nothing wrong with a Toyota or a Honda at all. Their sales prove it. However, you might ask yourself why GM outsells them all if they are so bad .

He wanted opinions, he got mine. He'll get yours. Opinions are like rear ends, everyone's got one and mine is better than yours. LOL.

Old 09-26-03, 02:30 PM
Subaru's are just different. That is what attracted me to them. Not everybody wants or needs AWD. You take a hit on gas milage and it's more stuff to break.

Sales figures mean nothing to me. Look at Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, VW. I'm pretty sure they have lower US sales figures. Does this mean they are inferior to Honda and Toyota? I think not. I guess it depends on what you mean by "superior" - performance, safety, quality, reliabiltiy...sales figures .

Just because the bumper gets ripped off doesn't mean the car isn't safe. Unibody cars have crumple zones to absorb the impact and keep the occupants "safe."

I don't have any evidence but I would bet GM out sells other cars here in the US because American people tend to buy American made cars, they spend a lot of money on advertising, and they sell alot of cars to rent-a-car companies like AVIS.

These are just my opinons. But I think I have some very valid ones .

Peace,

Ross

Originally posted by Joe_F
If the Subaru works for you, so be it.

It obviously doesn't work for the millions of Toyota and Honda buyers who pass Subaru up without a hitch. Look at the sales figures.

You might wonder why Subaru sales lag FAR behind Toyota and Honda if they are as good as you say they are.

Fact: In the realm of Japanese cars, Toyota and Honda are far superior.

Ummm, I like a car to be safe in an accident. My coworker's Caprice sustained NO damage. Not a scratch. Not a nick, not a piece of dust. The Subaru was DESTROYED.

Coworker of mine was saying when he bought his VW Fox he looked at 1994 Subarus in 1996 or so. Mostly all the ones he looked at were dust underneath, had rotted out and fallen apart. Subarus are known for that. That's piss poor.

Not only that, it was up for sale a week later when I passed the guy's house (and it had been fixed). .

Biased? Hardly. Nothing wrong with a Toyota or a Honda at all. Their sales prove it. However, you might ask yourself why GM outsells them all if they are so bad .

He wanted opinions, he got mine. He'll get yours. Opinions are like rear ends, everyone's got one and mine is better than yours. LOL.

Old 09-26-03, 08:02 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
We have choices as Americans, and more people chose Honda and Toyota over Subaru and choose GM over them all . Again, we choose, we buy, we have the power of the purse.

You cannot compare a Cadillac to a Honda. A Cadillac seats six people, a Honda Accord cannot. Caddies have V8s, Hondas don't.

Subaru and Toyota are typically compared to each other, that's a more valid comparison to make.

As I said, the Subaru basically fell apart right before our eyes. I was shocked at the inferior construction of it. Plus the parts were a mint and as I said, the kid dumped the car---it was a money pit.

To each his own, but sales figures in the same classes don't lie. Toyota and Honda wipe the floor with Subaru and easily outsell them in this country. That tells ya something. When the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord ALWAYS make the top ten stolen car lists and the Subaru doesn't even scratch the surface, that tells you what's in demand.

Leave a Subaru unlocked and a Honda unlocked and see which is gone first .

Everyone's opinions are welcomed. However, you cannot deny the facts. Subaru has MILES to go to catch up to Toyota and Honda.

Old 09-27-03, 07:40 AM
I do not agree.

So, I'm going to stop wasting bandwidth and stop here.

Ross

Old 09-27-03, 10:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Not a problem. The original poster has his/her answer and various opinions here and can decide for him/herself.

Old 09-28-03, 04:51 PM
First, Pizza is Italian, you Yanks only adopted it because it was BETTER than anything you produced in the same category.

Same for cars. As a previous poster said, most producers of QUALITY cars have been designing them with occupant safety in mind for years. Mercedes have had crumple zone technology as long as I can remember. Low speed accident = major panel damage = less injuries for occupants. Poor quality car, the Merc? All the worth-having Jap and European cars are designed the same way. Poor quality? I think not.

Joe would rather drive a tank on wheels. Sure, it will rip the Merc or the BMW or the Bentley or the Rolls to shreds. Barely a nick in the tank's paintwork.

Tell me Joe, what happens when two of your tanks collide? I mean, the laws of physics tell me something has to give.

Old 09-29-03, 08:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
EJones:

Pizza is about as varied worldwide as you can get. No sense in aruging that or being ethnocentric.

If you had any idea of things, you'd know that the pizza in Italy is actually not as good as here in the States. Stereotyping are we a bit?

Please don't stereotype me as to what I would like to drive and such. I also drive a Chevy Cavalier as well, 45 miles a day, everyday. Hence, is that a tank to you? Think not.

Again, the Subaru turned to dust. Heavy damage. Destroyed. Expensive. Could have cost the kid his life. He got smart, he sold it. That Chevrolet is still in service, as I rode in the car yesterday with my coworker. Strong as ever. 200k on the clock. Starts and runs everyday. Not a scratch or a nick from that incident.

Picture this, my coworker had a 1985 Caprice before this '88. He got broadsided by an S10 pickup one afternoon going 35 mph into his door. Now, the S10 is a bit smaller than the Caprice, but IS a truck. The S10 was demolished. The Chevy had a dented door, but not much else. The car kept on going for another 6 months until he decided to replace it with this '88 from another coworker.

The S10 was towed away. Would you want to be in that Subaru if it got hit in the same way? I think not.

Post closed. The original poster has his/her answer and various opinions.

I'm not getting into a riff-raff about this subject and we have no time to waste on this bandwidth.

Closed Thread