engine revs up and down on deceleration

Old 09-25-03, 05:17 PM
jbrenton
Visiting Guest
Question engine revs up and down on deceleration

I have a 92 olds achieva 2.3l quad 4 that Im fixing up for a friend and Im almost done. Car is now fully licensed and on the road BUT there is one problem driving me crazy first of all the idle speed is about 1300rpm (alittle high for my liking) the car runs and drives great but when slowing down to a stop the engine starts revving between 1-2ooo rpms and bucks a little this starts anywhere from 60-80 kph until it is nearly stopped than it purrs like a kitten again is there anyone out there that knows what the problem is. I would greatly appreciate anyhelp in getting this car completed

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-03, 05:22 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the IAC and clean the throttle body.

Side note: Dump this winner. These cars are expensive money pits with repeat problems.

Old 09-25-03, 05:30 PM
jbrenton
Visiting Guest
Thanks forgot to check throttlebody I know these cars have issues but my buddy took a chance on this one oh ya IAC what is that.

Old 09-25-03, 05:33 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
IAC-Idle Air Control Valve.

Old 09-26-03, 05:28 AM
THERE'S WAY TOO MANY VARIABLES TO DIAG THAT SURGE AT IDLE.DOUBTFUL IT IS AN IAC PROBLEM. KNOWING FUEL PRESSURE WOULD BE A GOOD THING. THEY ALSO HAD A HABIT OF OXYGEN SENSOR GIVING FALSE INDICATIONS. THAT IS, THE OXYGEN SENSOR MAY INDICATE LEAN, BUT THERE'S BLACK SMOKE COMING OUT THE TAILPIPE.
LOT'S OF SPECIALTY EQUIPMENT REQUIRED, AND EXPERIENCE....
ABOUT THE ONLY PROBLEMS THIS POWERTRAIN HAD WERE HEADGASKETS AND CRACKED HEADS. THERE WERE SPECIAL POLICIES THAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE BEEN DONE TO THIS VEHICLE. IF THEY WERE DONE, U MAY NOT EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS..

Old 09-26-03, 06:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
LOL. Those are some heavy duty problems there BG . LOL.

Old 09-26-03, 07:47 AM
Before you get into serious and heavy diagnosis make SURE all your vacuum lines are not leaking, that could cause the problem you've described.

Old 09-26-03, 08:32 AM
EVERY VEHICLE HAS IT'S ACHILLE'S HEEL...
MAYBE EVEN SOME OF THOSE REAR WHEELERS, JOE!

Old 09-26-03, 09:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Of course BG .

But the rear drivers are simple and the headaches are out in the open and there are fairly easy repairs for them to just continue onward.

Those old rear drivers lumber along with spit and glue. The better ones that are well maintained are really stellar .

Search this Thread