Lincoln Towncars

Old 09-25-03, 08:34 PM
janetlee
Visiting Guest
Talking Lincoln Towncars

I've been seeing LOTS of Lincoln Towncars from the early to mid-90's for sale and they're nice and not so bad on the prices for such an uppercrust-type car (at least that's how this country gal sees it)!!
Most seem like they've been well-maintained and it makes sense, as it would seem that mostly older folks would buy these cars. Are they rear wheel drive ? Mechanically, are they on par with the Vics and Marquises?
A quick note, I've taken someone's advice here and called up my local major car dealerships and asked them to keep an eye out for the kind of car I'm wanting......we'll see how it works out !
Thanks...especially to Joe !!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-03, 10:22 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It's the same, but not.

Lincoln has troublesome air strut suspension, the GM/CV don't.
Lincoln has tons of electrical stuff to go bad, the others may not.

Anything after 1991 or so is a 4.6, and those are trouble. Stay away.

If you must buy Ford, stick with a 5.0. Old school and runs better in the long haul.

Old 09-26-03, 08:36 PM
janetlee
Visiting Guest
It Doesn't Have to Be A Ford.....

Joe, I think that maybe you think that I feel that I have to get a car in the Ford family...I don't ! I would love it if you could give me some reasonable alternatives, in case I don't find a CV or GM in the shape I want it to be in...it's true that they're plentiful, but most that have been up for sale here locally aren't in good shape at all. The one CV that I thought was promising and planned to get checked out by my mechanic, has had a heater coil go bad and so that possibility went up in smoke ! You know all about the GM I posted about yesterday and then there was another one that was gorgeous, but had some rust places and my mechanic said that he's leery of a car that is starting to rust......he never saw it himself though, I just told him about it. Yes, eventually there's bound to be a CV or GM out there, but I don't want to necessarily be hog-tied to a Ford product !
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE !!!!!! Give me some other cars to consider !! What about the early 90's Chevy Caprice ? Or the late 80's to early 90's Oldsmobiles....Buick Roadmasters...Le Sabres...did Chrysler ever make any decent cars in that time-frame ?
Guide me, Joe !!! help help help !!!!!!

Old 09-26-03, 11:36 PM
I_do_it_all
Visiting Guest
Get a nice Volvo S70 and be done with it!

Old 09-27-03, 05:29 AM
I drive a 1988 Caprice Classic and my wife drives a 1987 Caprice station wagon.Prior to this I drove a 1981 Caprice Classic and my wife drove a 1984 Caprice Classic.All of these were bought used and lasted about 8 years after purchase.Average 70k-80k at purchase 175-190k at there resale.Not too bad I think.I think a rear wheel drive GM of most years is hard to beat.Used parts are very abundant if that need arises and new parts are more reasonable than for most other cars.I wouldn't pass on the CV just because it needs a heater core,if the price is right and the condition is good,look at it long term,I buy cars that need something it's much cheaper.People get to a point where they want something different and sometimes a minor repair makes them sell the car they have.

Old 09-27-03, 05:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Do it:

Can you get one of them for under $3000? I think that's her budget (Janet???)

Me personally?

Any GM rear driver. Cutlass, Caprice, Delta 88, Roadmaster, etc, etc. The 1991 to 1993 rear drivers have throttle body fuel injection and are simpler than the 1994 to 1996 LT1 equipped vehicles with Optispark.

What's your budget? My coworker bought a MINT 1983 Olds 98 (I mean MINT) from a guy off Ebay for 3000 bucks and it's like brand new. He dumped a 1987 Continental his father in law had given him--what a money pit (and he does all his own work like me).

Old 09-27-03, 07:52 AM
Janetlee, almost all towncars (and big cadillacs) are bought by old folks. I'm 55 and in my neighborhood most people refer to me as "sonny boy" or "young fella". I never cared much for the towncars (too many extras on them to break) but my last 3 work vehicles were crown vics and mercury grand marquis. Mechanically the same car.

The last one I had, 97 grand marquis, had 193K miles when I sold it, the only things I had done beside standard maintenance, were replace the drivers door power window unit, about $150 IIRC. I changed the plugs at 120,000 miles and the ones I took out didn't look any different than the one I put in. When I put it up for sale I changed the plug wires for the FIRST TIME as I was getting an occassional check engine light. The guy that bought mine never drove it, looked at the outside, saw the recent Michelins, the complete service records and handed me the $4K cash that I was asking. Except for the high mileage the car would have been worth $7-$9K.

I usually bought them used because I was putting 50K plus miles per year on them and that destroys the monetary value of a car. I liked those cars because of their comfort, ride and most important the big trunk for hauling catalogs and samples when out making sales calls.
A couple of things to keep in mind; old folks are generally pretty meticulous about care and maintenance on their buggies, lots of them don't drive much, so you can find 8 or 9 year old cars with 30K-40K miles, old people tend to die off so there are always cars coming on the market.

Good luck with your search.
frank

Old 09-27-03, 12:27 PM
janetlee
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thank You All !!

I've really thankful to have so many nice folks share their knowledge and info with me. Since my Dad died, my Mom and I have tried to do the best we can at making these decisions in a wise, educated way. After he passed away, we sold our 1985 Colony Park Station Wagon and got the 1991 Dynasty...... We learned a BIG lesson there !!! My Dad was not a mechanic and he never took our cars to get checked out before we'd buy (but we always ended up with good vehicles !) and so Mom and I had never thought about these sort of things before ! After the Dodge fiasco, we wised up FAST and I researched the best I could (pre-internet) and we ended up with the 1988 Marquis (a neighbor went with us to look at it, as he knew about cars). After we had the Marquis for several months, it started running rough and we took it to a mechanic (that had a good reputation). After the day was almost gone and we hadn't heard from him, I phoned him to ask about what was up with the car. He says to me that the car's engine is shot---that there's oil coming out from the rings and therei's blow-by. Well, like any woman in my situation (financially) I cried !!! I didn't know what I was going to do ! I maxed out my credit card and bought a 1986 Toyota Cressida SW (after I had another mechanic give it a good check-up) I was PO'd that the previous mechanic hadn't had the decency to call me when my car was considered "a goner", so I went to this different mechanic to get the SW checked out. He gave a thumbs-up and so we bought it. He asked to see the Marquis and so we took it to him. He found out that our car 's engine was NOT shot !!!! It had a clogged "breather" and he replaced it and the car has run fine ever since !! That was about 3 years ago !!! We resold the SW and lost money on it and my credit card still had a large balance on it. So now I hope everyone that gives a hoot can see why I am SO scary about making a mistake !!!!!!!!!!!! I will do my darnedest to get a good car !!

Old 09-28-03, 03:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Best bet:

1) Stick with someone you trust and have it looked at. Used cars are a gamble, so make sure you lessen your risk of getting a bad one.

2) Try to find out as much about the car's history as you can. Contact prior owners and ask about the car if you can. I did this with my 1979 Trans Am---for a different reason. I was rewarded with all the paperwork and history on my car as a result (important in the realm of collector cars---it's like having the papers for a dog ).

3) Choose wisely and don't be in a rush. There are plenty of good cars out there, take your time. You have a working vehicle. Again, make sure to take good care of it so it doesn't get to a crisis situation. Most vehicles last a long time with good maintenance and YOU are the one to say, "I think I want something better, snazzier, sportier, etc" rather than, "Damn, this sucker's getting beat, I'm up against a wall financially and I NEED a new car".

I would say a good majority of folks that get some bad cars are in financial straits and against a wall. So, they go to any dealer that extends them credit. This is bad business.

My cousin got wrapped up into this and it was bad news. No one consulted me, she bought a 1992 Grand Am with a Quad 4 (a real problem car and a junker) and she really couldn't properly afford it. In turn, she had lots of problems, bailed out, returned the car, cancelled the loan, took a hit, paid for some repair it, AND the dealer resold the car!

Doing the math, she really couldn't afford the car and the cheaper way for her to get around was the bus and public transit. What she wanted to hear? No. Reality? Yes.

Be careful and you'll be fine.

Search this Thread