Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2003 Sequoia Transmission Question

Visiting Guest

09-26-03, 05:32 AM   #1  
I_do_it_all
2003 Sequoia Transmission Question

I have a 2003 Toyota Sequoia, SR5, 4WD with about 7000 miles.
I absolutely love it, but there's a nagging transmission "bug" which bothers me. Here's the deal:

When I come to stop at a light just before complete stopping, the transmission actually feels like its downshifting again, as I feel a mild "kick" (much like what you'd feel during a gear shift). It does it about 60% of the times and I believe it has to do with the speed at which I was travelling prior to coming to stop. Sometimes it does it as I start to accelerarte.

The dealer tells me it's normal, but I wouldn't believe the dealer if he told me the sky was blue. I just don't think they know a whole lot!

Does anyone have any insights on this thing. It doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, but I've noticed this since the begining.
Thanks,
Fred

Sponsored Links

09-26-03, 05:58 AM   #2  
The slip yokes on the driveshafts need to be lubed. If it feels like someone tapped you from behind just about when come to a complete stop. It also can happen as you release the brake after your stopped.

It's because of the weight shift of the eng/trans when you stop. The slip yoke isn't allowing the movement, it binds sometimes and you get the "bump".

Very common on all 4WD Toyota's and causes no harm, just annoying. Lube the slip yokes on the driveshaft and it will go away for awhile.

Larry

Visiting Guest

09-26-03, 07:53 AM   #3  
I_do_it_all
I sure appreciate it toyotaman.
Isn't this something that the dealer should know?

Visiting Guest

09-26-03, 07:54 AM   #4  
Joe_F
You'd think, but not all dealers are on par with each other. There are good and bad dealers just like everything else.

Visiting Guest

09-26-03, 11:52 AM   #5  
I_do_it_all
I guerss I always get the ones who don't know!
Anyway, is lubing the slip yokes a big job?
Can it be done unintrusively or does it involve some degree of transmission disassembly?

Thanks so much.
Fred

Visiting Guest

09-26-03, 12:50 PM   #6  
Joe_F
I'd be asking the dealer to handle it for you. 2003 truck, shoot, I wouldn't do much more than drive it and change the oil .

09-26-03, 04:38 PM   #7  
The Slip yoke grease fittings are on the driveshaft along with "U" joint and CV fittings and are considered a maintenance item.

Larry

Search this Thread