roters

Old 09-26-03, 10:35 AM
TVanSteenberg
Visiting Guest
Question roters

I have a 2001 Volkswagon Jetta TDI with rear disc brakes and I need to replace the rotars. I have already purchaced the rotars, but can you explain to me how to instal them?

Old 09-26-03, 10:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Pretty easy from what I remember, but I suggest you pick up a shop manual or Alldata.com subscription to guide you.

Old 09-26-03, 04:02 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Yep you ought to get a manual on this one. Me thinks the caliper pistons screw in. Also you might want to consider new bearings as I also think these are pressed into rotor. Someone can correct me if I am off base on this.

Old 09-26-03, 07:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The brake caliper has 2 bolts that hold it on. The caliper mounting bracket has 2 bolts also. The bracket may or may not have to be removed. If so it is easy enough. Once the caliper and bracket are removed remove the 1 screw that holds the rotor to the hub assembly. Do not remove the large self locking nut in the center. If so this is what Darrel is saying is recommended to replace. If you dont have a problem with the hub then dont remove it. it is not necessary. The caliper piston DOES have to be turned as it is being pushed back into the caliper. This is because the parking brake is incorporated into the caliper. You will have to have a special tool to do this. There is a little square tool at sears especially made for this and it is quite inexpensive (probably around $7)However it is not the easiest tool to use. You have to put a ratchet and extension on it and push and turn at the same time. Turn the piston clockwise. If the piston is the least bit tight then it can be difficult to push it back in.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: