94 Chevy Blazer Tahoe Broken Turn Signal

Old 09-27-03, 10:24 PM
sweetnips7005
Visiting Guest
Question 94 Chevy Blazer Tahoe Broken Turn Signal

Hello, I have a 1994 Chevy Blazer Tahoe 4WD SUV. I was driving along the other day and flipped on my turn signal and the turn signal decided to turn itself off before I turned. I proceeded to put the turn signal back into position to warn the other drivers that I was turning and found that my turn signal was flopping around. It now does not click into place when trying to make a turn. Nor does it work at all. On this turn signal lever, I have cruise control and my wipers, both of which work. I have taken the whole steering column apart to install new springs. That didn't work. My turn signal still does not work. I don't know the technical name, but there is a white casing type thing inside the steering column that the springs connect to, that still clicks from right to left manually, but not with the lever itself. I would like to install a new turn signal lever, but cannot figure out how to get the turn signal itself out. My manual explains everything perfectly, but once I remove the white plastic casing (the one with the springs) and the black casing behind that one (the one that the ignition is connected to) I get stuck. Please help!!!!

Jenn

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-03, 02:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you need a new turn signal switch/cam assembly. Go to any GM dealer or Delco jobber, or even a parts store and pick up a new one.

I REALLY hope the manual you're refferring to in your post is a GM shop manual and not a generic repair manual! .

Old 09-28-03, 07:45 AM
sweetnips7005
Visiting Guest
K, But once I get this new cam/turn signal, how does the old one come out? All the manual says is to remove the screw. I can't locate this screw.

Old 09-28-03, 11:03 AM
There should be 3 phillips screws (may be Torx in this year model, not sure) as well as some wires that will need to be disconnected. You will have to move the cam back and forth to get to at least one of the screws as it is kind of hidden under the top part of the cam in certain positions. It sounds to me like the cam is not the problem, but the lever (or multifunction switch).
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Last edited by billys68ss; 09-28-03 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-28-03, 11:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster:

Do not gamble with steering. Hit the GM dealer's parts counter and have the parts person pull up the exploded view of the column so you can pick out the needed part from the parts illustration.

Then, using your manual (again, hope it's a GM one), it will guide you as to how to install the parts correctly. Everything must go back as it came 100%.

Old 09-28-03, 01:21 PM
sweetnips7005
Visiting Guest
I was not aware that GM could pull up a detailed overview map. Thank you!!!! Now would that be with any auto parts store that carries GM? And yes, I do have the original manual, along with a very thorough manual from "Chevelle" I believe the name is.

Old 09-28-03, 01:36 PM
sweetnips7005
Visiting Guest
And to Billy, thank you sooooo much!! I was thinking it was the lever myself, but wanted to make sure of it. I have been past the three star screws, or whatever they are called...LOL, but didn't disconnect the wires. I didn't want to do any extra steps, and wasn't exactly sure what to disconnect or not. But I do know what wires you are talking about, there are two sets of them. Hopefully, when I get those wires disconnected, and take the whole thing apart again, I will be able to locate this screw. One more question is, on that white casing that has the springs attached and clicks from left to right. On the left hand side of that casing, there is a screw. The screw that I am talking about connects to or I should say screws into a magnetic post which slides through the white casing and the black casing under that white one. Well, I am wondering if I am missing something or if something is broken. Because, there is a black metal piece that fits into the white casing under that screw. It looks like this metal piece serves no purpose. I am wondering if it is supposed to be attached to anything. Let's see if I can explain this. The metal piece is a single piece about a 1/2 inch thick. Almost like an "L" shape. Which fits into the white casing. The screw that goes into that magnetic post connects this 1/2 inch metal piece. What purpose does that thing serve????

Old 09-28-03, 02:27 PM
Sweetnips,
Check out the link below. I scanned this into my website from Alldata. It is not a very good picture but it might help. Do you see the part you are talking about?
Billy

1994 Blazer Steering Column

Old 09-28-03, 03:07 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Damn straight everything has a purpose in there! LOL.

IMPERATIVE is that it goes back as it came apart or something's not going to work, or worse yet jam the steering. Don't play around, get all the proper parts and make sure you take your time.

The black thing you speak of sounds like the bridge between the turn signal switch and the lever and that is what actually actuates the switch when you move the lever. No, it's not likely the problem.

You need to go to a GM parts counter (dealership) for the exploded view. A Delco jobber won't have that.

Old 09-29-03, 12:43 AM
sweetnips7005
Visiting Guest
k, to Billy, it looks like #9 on that figure might be what I am talking about. Only problem is is that that whole piece that connects to it looks like it snapped apart or something. What is that one piece called. Everything still works on that lever, everything except the turn signals...LOL
And Joe, the bridge that you are speaking of is probably the same thing that I am. Only if you read what was written to Billy you will understand that this piece is a straight piece, then juts off downward and looks like it should have something else connected to it, but doesn't. Leave it to me to buy a freakin chevy!!

Old 09-29-03, 03:57 AM
HEY.... Come on now.... Dont knock a Chevy The part you are talking about is called a..... drum roll please....... Switch Arm Actuator. And from your description it sounds like this is the reason you have this problem. Sometimes when you turn the signals on depending on the orientation of the steering wheel (and its inner mechanisms) the signals will cancel just as if you had already made your turn. If you notice that it will not stay on after this, and before the turn is completed, it is because the turn signal cancelling cam (part number 5 in the picture) is trying to do its job and cancel the signal. If you forced the signal to stay on then thats how that part got broke. Take it out and with the new knowledge you have take it to the Chevy Dealer (regular parts store will not help you here) and get a new one. They will probably have to order it, so if you print out the picture and take the part then you should have no problem getting someone to get you the correct part the first time.
Hope this has helped you,
Billy

Old 09-29-03, 04:51 AM
sweetnips7005
Visiting Guest
You have been a huge help!! I really don't know what I would have done without you guys, besides gone crazy...wait, I am already doing that!! LOL Anyway, I am going to take my nifty new diagram to GM, shove it in there faces, and demand the right stuff!!! I have a whole list of things to look into so I may be back with another one of my dilemmas. Hope you guys stick around for awhile, I may need you again. I will let you know what the actual problem was when all is said and done.
Love you guys
Jenn

Old 09-29-03, 05:30 AM
one end of that arm has a screw through it, that connects it to the directional switch, the other rides in a slot in the wiper pivot. this is what connects the turn signal lever to the switch..

Old 09-29-03, 08:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Memory serves that this setup is just like my 1979 Trans Am and yes, it is as these guys have described.

Just look at everything carefully to make sure you don't overlook a broken part.

When the signals don't cancel, that is usually a broken spring on the turn signal switch. My guess is a bad/soggy turn signal switch and maybe a bad pivot, but it's tough to say without looking at it.

BTW: Some of the GM parts diagrams for steering columns can be VERY small, and have to blown up at the parts counter computer so you can see what it is they are referring to. LOL.

No need to knock a Chevrolet product. I own one too, no problems .

"See the USA in your Chevrolet" .