RPO's

Old 09-28-03, 09:44 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
RPO's

A few years ago I had a (I think) a GM web site that you could type in a VIN and get the RPO's for that particular veh. Seems it vanished? Like part of my mind. Anyone have anything on this?
Or is it a bad dream??? Used to be you could also compare the codes to a shop manual pertaining to that veh year.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-03, 11:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Might be the "SI2000" system, which really isn't public domain.

EDS and Bell and Howell's parts system can also spit out RPO codes based on VIN #s too.

Old 09-28-03, 12:05 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Yep, whatever it was I had and used was not actually for public
to view. Had to have a dealer name and password. Years ago the RPO's were a detailed printout, put under rear cushion. Also if you were lucky you might get the freight shippers copy.

Old 09-28-03, 03:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup, called a "build sheet", it's sought after if you are restoring a car or want to document one. It's what the car had as far as options go when it was made.

Placement and even having one is optional, up to the line workers to put it in or not. Many were probably used as placemats for lunch. LOL.

Later on build sheets were replaced by SPID labels which we still have today.

Old 09-29-03, 06:15 AM
EVERY GM VEHICLE STILL HAS AN RPO CODE STICKER SOMEWHERE.
THE WEBSITE WASN'T SI2K, IT WAS DEALERWORLD. EVEN HARDER TO GET INTO WITHOUT A PASSWORD. WE USE A GENERIC PASSWORD TO GET INTO SI2K.

Old 09-29-03, 08:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
BG:

Yes a SPID label, but still a complete buildsheet?

It is my recollection that when they went to SPID labels in mid '84 (my 6/84 built Olds 88 has a SPID label), they stopped using the buildsheets because the information is basically redundant.

Old 09-29-03, 09:18 AM
A BUILD SHEET AND AN RPO LABEL(WHICH IS WHAT THE ORIGINAL POSTER INQUIRED ABOUT) ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS, I GUESS. THE BUILD INFORMATION WOULD ONLY BE FOUND AT DEALER WORLD. BUT YES, EVERY GM VEHICLE(NOT SURE ABOUT SATURN OR HUMMER) HAS AN RPO LABEL. PASSENGER CARS ARE ON THE SPARE TIRE COVER OR UNDER THE REAR DECK LID, TRUCKS ARE IN THE GLOVE CO MPARTMENT OR UNDER A CONSOLE LID. THERE MAY ALSO BE OTHER AREAS. THERE IS A LIST OF WHERE THEY PUT THEM FOR EACH MODEL AND YEAR.
THE RPO'S ARE DEFINATELY NOT REDUNDANT. THEY ARE SPECIFIC TO THE VEHICLE AND ARE VERY VALUABLE WHEN IT COMES TIME TO ORDER PARTS.
OUR PARTS DEPARTMENT BUYS CATALOGS WITH ALL THE INFORMATION FOR EVERY VIN, AND CAN SIFT THROUGH ALL THE RPO'S BY ENTERING THE VIN WHEN DOING A SEARCH. KEEPS US FROM HAVING TO RUN OUT TO THE VEHICLE TO SEE WHAT THE RPO IS...

Old 09-29-03, 09:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
BG:

I understand, I have a GM EDS Parts Imager here at work and I coordinate that . LOL.

What I'm stating is that I don't think a car with a buildsheet (say my 1979 Trans Am) has an RPO label. In fact, I know it doesn't.

In other words, SPID label and "old time" buildsheet- redundant. They either do one or the other.

For the purposes of service parts, the RPO is needed, agree. But, what's on the label is good enough because the counterman will say, "Well says in the book that G80 uses one part, without G80, another, let's check your VIN or get your code from the sticker to check.....".

Trucks had RPO/broadcast labels in the glovebox from the 70's from what I remember. Cars got SPID labels in mid '84.

As for the listing of what is where, every GM parts catalog has that information for that model. The little "pocket" RPO guide that GM used to issue also has where they are for every year.

Yes, Saturns have SPID labels, my mother has a Saturn.

Old 09-29-03, 12:31 PM
GEEZ JOE, GUESS U TOLD ME..
I THINK THE CONFUSION MIGHT BE THAT WE CALL RPO LABELS WHAT U'RE CALLING A SPID LABEL.
GUESS WE DON'T GET TOO HUNG UP ON TERMINOLOGY.

Old 09-29-03, 12:48 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure .

SPID=Service Parts Identification
RPO label=The label that has all the funny codes on it .

=same thing .

I guess my point is cars today have SPID/RPO labels. Pre '84 cars had buildsheets instead. Trouble was it was a pain to pull up the seat just to see what options it had so you could get the right parts. LOL .

Old 09-29-03, 01:14 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Bought a new chevy P/U in 84. it had the RPO sticker in glove box, the build sheet, 2 (duplicate copies) were attached to the carrier/shippers papers when I picked it up. Itemized in detail what was put into the truck, all. Acc. and even rear end gear ratio.
I believe what I was refering to in first post did come from dealer world. An .that convered entire ad. bar.

Old 09-29-03, 02:03 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hmm, trucks have always been a different animal. LOL. I remember those waxed labels on the glovebox's inside. Siome vans had them stuck to the hood from what I remember.

I always thought that was better than fishing for a buildsheet that may never be. Some cars DIDN'T have it. I have read that it was optional for the factory line worker to put it and some may have never done so.

Fortunately, with Pontiac, you can just send 35 bones to Pontiac Historical Services, www.phs-online.com and they will send you the original paperwork for the car. They have the rights to do this with GM/Pontiac.

Neat service and answers a lot of questions. My two cars are original and I have their information packet on both .

Search this Thread