Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hole in Transmission case

Visiting Guest

09-29-03, 07:36 AM   #1  
bstruthers
Hole in Transmission case

Yes, I said a hole. Transmissions are way beyond my ability to fix. So I ask this, perhaps, stupid question. Must've hit something under the car because I have a hole about the size of a pencil eraser dripping out all the gear oil. Is there anything that can be done to plug up the hole, aside from sticking in a pencil eraser? I was hoping to get rid of the car next spring anyway and don't feel like paying major bucks for repairs right now. Am I out of luck? Thanks.

-b

96 Nissan 200 SX 1.6L

Sponsored Links

09-29-03, 08:03 AM   #2  
TRY A SELF TAPPING SCREW WITH AN O-RING ON IT.....

Visiting Guest

09-29-03, 08:05 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Try as BG said or else get a used case from a junkyard.

Visiting Guest

09-29-03, 08:14 AM   #4  
bstruthers
I'll give it a go. Heck, I used gutter seal to seal up an opening in on the inside of the fender edge that was starting to rust. Worked like a charm. Why not stick a screw in the transmission? Thanks for the idea.

09-29-03, 10:59 AM   #5  
Drill it, tap it 1/8 or 1/4 pipe thread and put a plug in it.

Larry

Visiting Guest

09-29-03, 11:38 PM   #6  
mike from nj
holes in transmissions usually come from the inside--out. when a gear or bearing breaks, it has enough force to go through the case, i've seen it A LOT! number 1 cause, is doing one wheel burnouts (a long explanation--but a true fact)

if it drives and shifts ok, it might last a while, i'd spray it down with parts cleaner thoroughly, let it dry, then a good coating of silicone, maybe even a 'patch' piece if it's a big enough hole and then let that dry overnight before refilling. (i speak from experience on this)

what kind of car?

watch how long that screw is before you stick it in, might be something important behind it

Visiting Guest

09-30-03, 07:25 AM   #7  
bstruthers
Thanks all. Tried the screw and the plug last night. Seemed to have a pretty good seal, at least, until I started the car. Then I just had gear oil all over the floor. Oh well. It was a fun experiment.

Dealer has the car now. Insurance says that if it was a rock that hit it, I'll be covered under my collision and will have to pay my deductible, but no more. Haven't been doing too many wheel burnouts. Can't afford the tire replacement cost.

Local guy said if it was an aluminum case, which it is, it can be welded. He has a guy that can do it for me. Any one have any experience with welding transmission cases. Sounds cheaper, but will it last for six months or so?

Also, took the plug out to drain the transmission oil. Metal slivers all over the plug on the inside where it is magnetized. I assume this is from my gears wasting away, or is this normal.

-b

Visiting Guest

09-30-03, 07:30 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Try the welding/repair way for now and see where that nets you. The other alternative is a used tranny, but that's a gamble.

If the car is in good shape, worth a rebuilt unit. If not, just get by till you can pitch this winner and get something better.

Visiting Guest

10-29-03, 12:09 PM   #9  
bstruthers
Thanks for the advice. Checked on the welding, but no go. Installed a used transmission and am selling the car. Anyone wanna buy a 96 200SX!
javascript:smilie('')
javascript:smilie('')

Visiting Guest

10-29-03, 01:19 PM   #10  
Joe_F
No thanks. LOL.

Glad you got it going.

Search this Thread