Tire or Bearing noise ??

Old 09-29-03, 10:20 AM
Tire or Bearing noise ??

2001 Nissan Maxima. Have about 74k miles. Had F/R brakes done about 10k miles ago (resurfaced all 4 rotors) and new tires about 20k miles ago.

Just started hearing a noise - coming from the right rear wheel. Sounds like "wub wub wub" and as I go faster, so does the sound. Funny thing is that it doesn't cause a vibration, and I typically drive 80-90 on the turnpike every day (traffic/weather permitting)

My first thought (worked as a tire mechanic through HS & college) was that the tire was out of round, but wouldn't that cause a vibration? My father-in-law said it sounded like it could be a bearing, but in the rear? Car is front wheel drive.

I WAS going to rotate the tires to see if I could isolate the tire/wheel, but haven't had time. I plan on taking the car in for service next weekend, but would like to find the problem sooner if possible.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-03, 11:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You're on the right track. Rotate the tires and see if the noise follows with the rotation.

Start here.

Old 09-29-03, 02:20 PM
I had, what I think, is the same noise on some tires I've had on my car. 1st time, it was on 2 General tires, which had about 25K miles on them, and one blew out while I was driving. I was told it was caused by belt seperation. Since a Firestone was nearby, I went there and got both tires replaced with new Firestones. About a year later, one of the Firestones was making the same noise so I had that one replaced, not wanting to risk another blowout. No tire noise anymore.

If you think you might have belt seperation, you need to get the tire replaced asap. You sure don't want to have a blowout while driving 80- 90 mph!

Just curious....what brand of tires are on your car?

Old 09-30-03, 06:12 AM
I have Cooper Tires on my car, I believe 215/55HR17.

Old 09-30-03, 07:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Rotate them and let's see what we have.

Old 10-02-03, 05:18 AM
Rotated the tires last night (front to back of course) and the noise still persists in the rear. I was hoping it was the tire, but now I should prob. have the dealer check it out. Does this narrow down the problem??

Although now I have a nice vibration in the front too, but prob. just need to balance the front tires.

Old 10-02-03, 06:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If the problem is still in the same spot, I think you've eliminated it as a wheel and tire problem.

Does sound like you have at least one out of balance tire/bent rim/bad tire.

Old 10-02-03, 08:39 AM
So regarding the original problem, can this symptom be the wheel bearing? anything else I can look for?

Old 10-02-03, 08:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you checked alldata.com to see if there any bulletins that match your problem?

Old 10-02-03, 08:53 AM
NO IT SOUNDS LIKE THE WHEEL BEARING IS BAD. THIS IS ASSUMING U ARE SURE THE NOISE DID NOT MOVE. HAVE SOMEONE RIDE IN THE BACK SEAT TO BE SURE. UNLESS U HAVE A SET OF CHASSIS EARS LYING AROUND(JUST KIDDING) WE USE CHASSIS EARS TO ISOLATE SOMETHING LIKE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. IT IS DECEIVING SOMETIMES EXACTLY WHICH CORNER OF THE VEHICLE THE NOISE IS COMING FROM, AND TROUBLESHOOTING A NOISE SUCH AS THIS WARRANTS AGONIZING OVER, AS I WOULD IMAGINE A WHEEL BEARING FOR THIS VEHICLE IS A SMALL FORTUNE.

Old 10-02-03, 11:22 AM
Noise is still from right rear. My father-in-law, who was sitting in the back seat, heard the noise too and thought it sounded like a bearing. this is coming from someone who has replaced a bearing or two in his day (over 30 years ago), so he prob. has an idea of what he is talking about.

If that's the problem, what kind of $$ are we talking for repair/replacement? Isn't this rather uncommon for a 2 year old vehicle? What can cause this?

In the meantime, I will check for bulletins.

Thanks.

Old 10-02-03, 12:29 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes. I own a 1989 Cavalier and other FWD cars and the bearings are all original.

No hokey aftermarket rims on this thing by chance is there? Those things are nothing but problems.

Old 10-02-03, 01:23 PM
I TELL U WHAT IF MY 01 MAXIMA NEED A REAR WHEEL BEARING, WHICH IT SOUNDS LIKE IT DOES, I'D BE BULL****
BUT U KNOW WHAT I DON'T THINK THE JAPANESE VEHICLES HAVE MUCH OV ER THE DOMESTICS ANYMORE.
ANYWAY, THIS THING HAS NEVER BEEN WRECKED HAS IT? I SEE WHEEL BEARING PROBLEMS POP UP NOT LONG AFTER A HIT....

Old 10-02-03, 02:49 PM
All original equipment and never been in an accident, and I am original owner.

Old 10-03-03, 08:43 AM
LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE GETTING YOUR WALLET OUT....HANG ON...

Old 10-03-03, 09:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster:

Have you had the wheel bearing checked. It's rare that such a new car would ruin one of them....

Old 10-03-03, 09:26 AM
Hopefully having it checked out this weekend.

Old 10-04-03, 08:14 AM
Martin68
Visiting Guest
Did you check visually check the tires to make sure the belts arent bent inside?If your suspension was bad for a while -bad shock/strut this would cause the tire to go bad.Feel the tire around the tread to see it it has small gulleys.Almost like a looking at a wavelength.

Old 10-04-03, 03:51 PM
On a different perspective, you could easily check to see if a lugnut ( lugnut.,,, where have I heard that before?) is loose. A non-tightened lugnut or several loose ones will cause a noise without the accompanying vibration, until they become really loose just before the wheel falls off.

Lugnut

Old 10-07-03, 01:03 PM
All lugs were SUPERtight, for it took a few good wacks with the rubber mallet on the lug wrench to loosen the lug.

Regarding the SUSPENSION theory, I went into a local garage, and after they tried telling me my tie-rods and front end needed repair (I then re-iterated the noise was from the BACK) they said it was the REAR struts. He then bounced on the rear end and showed me the up/down movement (which is no different, I am sure, from the day I bought the car) and said my rear struts are bad.

I think they were looking for $$ (375 installed for 2 rear struts - not bad, but only if I really NEED them)

But I did buy the theory, that the struts wore a funny pattern on the tires, causing a noise in the rear, which then caused a vibration when rotated to the front.

Old 10-07-03, 01:07 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Make sure that the noise is coming from there and you trust the shop you're doing business with. Check to make sure they have no complaints from the Better Business Bureau and they come recommended.

Old 10-08-03, 05:37 AM
Well that's the problem, I don't know anything about this shop, other than I had them change my oil about a month ago.

I have an appointment a week from this Sat. at the car dealer, who hasn't tried to sell me unneeded services yet, only recommended certain unwanted services.

I am taking it in for one of those free inspections, where they check the whole car over. Included in this inspection is checking tire condition and checking the struts. I may wait and see if they find the problem before I tell them what's wrong.