86 Olds, Cutlass Ciera Cruiser (no start)

Old 09-29-03, 05:56 PM
Manggold
Visiting Guest
Wink 86 Olds, Cutlass Ciera Cruiser (no start)

I recently purchased a non-running Cutlass Ciera that the guy said ran fine one day and when he went to turn the key the next day nothing happened. I've put a new battery in it and checked all the fuses. I could only check the fusable links near the starter with a continuity tester; and there is power going all the way through all four. It seems that everything that should work when the key is on- doesn't. I thought it could be the ignition switch, but a new one did nothing. The headlights work so I know there is a solid connection at the battery. Can anyone shed a little light on what I'm dealing with?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-03, 07:25 PM
check your battery cables both at the battery and at engine make sure they are tight, clean and not corroded. check for power at the small terminal on the starter for power while having someone holding the key in the crank position if you have power probably have a bad starter.
is there anything else that is not working besides the car wont crank over, do you have any lights on the dash when you turn the key on.

Old 09-29-03, 09:53 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hopefully, he didn't seize the engine and was just trying to unload this thing

Agree with BeJay. Try tapping on the starter to see if that jars it back to life. If so, rebuild time for it.

Old 10-02-03, 12:51 PM
Manggold
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, bejay. The starter seems to be alright. I put a screwdriver across the contacts at the starter and it jumped. So, I believe that indicates that it's getting power and is OK.

Old 10-02-03, 01:09 PM
OKAY YOU NEED TO CHECK FOR AVAILABLE CURRENT TO THAT PURPLE WIRE AT THE STARTER...THE TERMINAL U JUMPED WITH A SCREWDRIVER. THAT TEST TELLS U THE STARTER IS OKAY, AND THAT THE BATTERY CABLE TO THE BIG STUD IS GOOD. BUT IT DOESN'T TELL U IF U ARE GETTING ENUFF POWER TO THE PURPLE WIRE. DON'T USE A VOLTMETER. MAKE A TEST LIGHT BY SOLDERING TWO WIRES TO A BULB, LIKE AN 1156. SOLDER TWO ALLIGATOR CLIPS TO THE OTHER END OF THE WIRES. CONNECT ONE END TO A GROUND, THE OTHER TO THE "S' TERMINAL(HAS THE PURPLE WIRE ON IT) THEN CRANK THE IGNITION KEY. CHANCES ARE IT IS NOT GOING TO LIGHT. TRY IT IN NEUTRAL, MAYBE THE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH IS FAILED IN THE PARK POSITION.IF STILL NO POWER, MOVE THE TEST LIGHT TO THE YELLOW WIRE AT THE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH CONNECTOR (FIRST UNPLUG THE SWITCH) THEN TRY CRANKING THE IGNITION KEY. IF THERE IS POWER, THE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH IS PROBABLY NO GOOD. TRY JUMPERING THE CONNECTOR FROM THE YELLOW TO THE PURPLE WIRE WITH A FUSED JUMPER WIRE AND SEE IF IT'LL CRANK..