Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

brake drums

Visiting Guest

09-29-03, 06:19 PM   #1  
Jayhawk
brake drums

'98 cavalier 2.2...My wife lost the brakes coming home with the kids. Quite a scare. I found brake fluid all over one of the rear tires. Took the wheel off...the brake fittings are dry. Need to get the hub off to look at the brakes. Thats where I'm stuck. The hub wont budge. I thought the shoes might be locked against the hub but there's no access plate to loosen the parking brake lever. No knockout plates at all. I've been tapping on the hub for an hour...nothing. Am I missing something or is it just stuck really good.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

09-29-03, 06:50 PM   #2  
Look on the face of the drum for a couple of tapped holes, usually 1/4-20 threads. Get a couple of bolts with the right thread pitch (make sure they are right size, should thread fairly easy for the first 1/4" or so) about 2-3 inches long and run them in the holes alternating ack and forth to stay even. Should force the drum off. Also make sure you've sprayed the center area where the drum will slide off with some penetrating oil or WD-40.

Visiting Guest

09-29-03, 06:57 PM   #3  
Jayhawk
Thanks for the reply.
No threaded holes...I'll soak everything in wd40...
I'm tempted to get the 5 pound sledge hammer.

Group Moderator

FL

09-29-03, 07:09 PM   #4  
When all else fails, a drum puller will do the job, but you'll have to run one down at a rental place or parts store.

Visiting Guest

09-29-03, 07:32 PM   #5  
Jayhawk
WD40 and couple big swings with the hammer did it.
Looks like the cylinder boots are toast...guess I'll have to replace cylinder and shoes. Is it a good idea to do the other rear wheel also?

Visiting Guest

09-29-03, 09:50 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Original poster:

Throw EVERYTHING out and replace it with new parts:

Shoes
Hardware
Wheel cylinders
Drums if they are marginal.

Hit the front and do the same thing. Friction, rotors, hoses.

Brakes are not something to gamble with. DO NOT cheap out.

Visiting Guest

09-30-03, 07:46 AM   #7  
Jayhawk
You're absolutely right Joe...Thanks. The wife and kids are in this car...won't take any chances. I'll order all the parts.

Search this Thread