Windsheild Wiper Problem

Old 06-15-03, 04:42 PM
marcuumb
Visiting Guest
Windsheild Wiper Problem

I have a 1992 Chrysler 5th Ave and recently when I touch the turn signal lever, the wipers come on. It's getting worse each day and not the window cleaner pump also comes on and sometimes is difficult to get to turn off. I have to play with the lever. A month or two ago I was having the same problem and went on a 5 day trip during which my battery went dead. After jumping and replacing the battery and alternator, the problem with the wipers went away...no matter how I manipulated the lever (other than the way it's supposed to work) the wipers never came on. Great I thought but during the course of the next 5 weeks it progressively got worse and now is unbearable.

What could the problem be that a dead battery temporarily solved it?

Thanks,

Brad

Old 06-15-03, 04:44 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It is probably in the multifunction switch. As I recall the wheel may have to be pulled to access the switch (check autolibrary.org).

If so, not DIY repair. The airbag is involved. Professional service required.

Old 06-16-03, 06:47 AM
marcuumb
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe,

I looked at the procedure for removing and replacing the multifunction switch and the 1990-1995 Chrysler vehicles do not require the removal of the column. Procedures are pretty straight forward.

Thanks again,

Brad

Old 06-16-03, 12:19 PM
duce110
Visiting Guest
I had the same problem with my Ford Explorer. Everytime I mad a turn the wipers will go off, and most of the time was while I was just driving without turning. But I took it to Ford and it was under recall. Joe gave me that advise (take it to Ford) and it was the multifunction switch. With that said, I agree with Joe.

Old 06-16-03, 03:46 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by marcuumb
Thanks Joe,

I looked at the procedure for removing and replacing the multifunction switch and the 1990-1995 Chrysler vehicles do not require the removal of the column. Procedures are pretty straight forward.

Thanks again,

Brad
Brad, what Joe and Duce110 are trying to point out is on your
car in order to remove the switch, you are going to have to
disable and remove the air bag module. Just disconnecting the
battery from the car will NOT work! There's a backup battery in
the module on the steering wheel air bag. Car manufacterers
expect that in serious accidents the primary battery may not
be available. IF the airbag module should go off while you were
trying to disable it, (happens!) then you could be in for a world
of hurt. Last time I shopped for a module for my Buick, it was
$1500 to 2000 per side! And insurance companies don't cover
accidental airbag deployment!!

Have a shop that's qualified to do the work change the switch! Mine is due for replacement and there's no way I'm going to do it,
and I've been working on cars for 20 years!

Christopher Tarana

Old 06-16-03, 04:52 PM
marcuumb
Visiting Guest
Christopher,

Thanks for the input. I read the RR procedures and it doesn't mention anything about the airbag. The earlier models talk about it and the RR procedure is very involved.

According to the RR procedures for the 1992, all you do is take out 4 screws and pull the multi-function module.

What am I missing?

Old 06-16-03, 05:41 PM
C
Originally posted by marcuumb
Christopher,

Thanks for the input. I read the RR procedures and it doesn't mention anything about the airbag. The earlier models talk about it and the RR procedure is very involved.

According to the RR procedures for the 1992, all you do is take out 4 screws and pull the multi-function module.

What am I missing?
If that's all there is to it, you might be okay. But if you have
to go under the dash or open the steering wheel for any
reason, it ceases to be a DIY job. On my Buick, removal of
the multi-switch requires disconnecting the wiring at the base
of the steering column, and pulling the wiring up through the
steering column and out at the top, behind the steering
wheel. Add to that the fact that I have tilt wheel and
I see no reason for me to mess with it. Installation is the
reverse of removal on my car. Maybe I'm a chicken, but I'm
not a roaster!

Christopher

Old 10-03-03, 11:41 AM
marcuumb
Visiting Guest
Finally got around to purchasing the new lever and switch. Followed the manual and it went in with no problems. Entire operation took 10 minutes. Thanks for all your inputs.

Old 10-04-03, 09:54 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
every chrysler/plymouth/dodge service manual i've ever read concerning airbags states: remove the battery negative terminal and isolate(electrical tape is one way, or a bungee cord) then wait 2 minutes. after that, the capacitors in the airbag system are sufficiently discharged to prevent an accidental deployment.

on top of that, it is very hard to actually set one off, the sensor in front of the car(behind the bumper) has to be tripped at the same time the crash sensor inside the airbag module is tripped.

on top of that, i and others in the shop 'regularly' take out air bags and clocksprings while the car is running, there's a clockspring recall for caravans and older trucks had a steering wheel 'back' recall, usually all done while running or at least with the battery connected. never seen or even heard of one going off.

all airbags have a shorting bar on the terminals, meaning, when you unplug it, it immediately connects the two terminals together, so a static shock can't set one off.

this does not mean that anyone should even attempt to do this, i was only pointing out what has to happen to set one off and the precautions in place to prevent it.

always follow the service manual! ALWAYS!

Old 10-04-03, 03:43 PM
Mike from NJ said,

"... remove the battery negative terminal .... then wait 2 minutes. after that, the capacitors in the airbag system are sufficiently discharged to prevent an accidental deployment...."

It was good for me to hear that, as that is what I have always gone by also. I like to be refreshed, or reinforced from time to time.

Thanks

Lugnut

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: