1999 Ford Taurus

Old 09-29-03, 08:08 PM
mielyk
Visiting Guest
Angry 1999 Ford Taurus

Hi
I have a 1999 Taurus with about 80,000 miles. I was driving and I was not getting any kind of power it seemed like I was not moving about 45 and the RPM's were at 4-5. SO I brought it home and parked it. Now everytime I start and move into Drive it cuts of immediately. IS this the fuel injectors or the transmission or what? It is an automatic DOHC V6.

PLease help

Thanks
Mielyk

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-03, 09:48 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Does it stall violently when you put it in gear or stumble and stall?

Old 09-30-03, 04:00 AM
mielyk
Visiting Guest
I would say stall and stop but it is real quick.

Old 09-30-03, 07:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It could be the converter solenoid locking up and causing it to stall (it's like when you forget to downshift when slowing down with a car with a clutch...same idea).

Ford has had numerous problems with this Taurus tranny and it's not worth beans---check alldata.com for any bulletins that may apply to your problem here, and tell us what you find.

Old 09-30-03, 09:49 AM
mielyk
Visiting Guest
So you think that it may be my transmission? I was wondering about fuel injectors?

Old 09-30-03, 10:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tough to say without seeing it and doing some tests. Suggest you bring it in have the basics verified, such as spark, fuel pressure and trouble codes stored in the computer.

Fuel injectors rarely go bad and if they do, something causes it usually.

Old 09-30-03, 04:33 PM
mielyk
Visiting Guest
OK thanks... I live in Raleigh North Carolina, by chance do you know anyone that lives here that you trust? Also you mentioned the converter solenoid is that expensive?

Thanks

Old 10-01-03, 05:42 AM
mielyk
Visiting Guest
Also my check engine light had been coming on and FORD said that the computer was saying something about a oxygen sensor, I cant remember the correct name but the mechanic was saying that it could affect my fuel and the engine or something like that. Does this ring a bell?

Thanks

Old 10-01-03, 06:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have the car scanned for codes by Autozone, they do it free. Post what they find here. The O2 sensor is likely the root cause of the problem.

As for recommended shops, choose ones ASE Certified, without Better Business Bureua Complaints and ones that come recommended by friends, relatives and coworkers. Same applies for dealerships.

Old 10-02-03, 07:46 AM
mielyk
Visiting Guest
I had a mechanic look at the car he said it was a converter something or another in the transmission. He unhooked it and the car drove but will not shift out of first gear. What are my options?

Old 10-02-03, 07:52 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Take it to another shop that can properly diagnose and repair the problem.

The "converter" is the lockup torque converter. You cannot disconnect anything. Have somene do a proper analysis and repair.

Old 10-02-03, 11:34 AM
mielyk
Visiting Guest
Okay will do and I will follow up!

Thanks

Old 10-03-03, 06:05 PM
Im having the same problem with my 98 Taurus. Let me know what you find!

Old 10-04-03, 08:43 AM
mielyk
Visiting Guest
Hi all
I went to Autozone and the y they said that Torque Converter is broken and it is in the transmission also the shift senoid is malfunctioning. I am in search of a mechanic that will not tryto take my entire check for this. Does anyone life in the Raleigh North Carolina are?

These were the codes from the computer
po761c po755 po760 po743 po750 po751 and po756

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Mielyk

Old 10-04-03, 10:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Get a second opinion, and I'd suggest a GOOD independent repair shop or a Ford dealer here.

You can find some shops that are ASE certified through the www.asecert.org website, but again, choose ones that are recommended by family and friends and ones that lack Better Business Bureau complaints.