86 Blazer oil leak

Old 09-30-03, 05:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 86 Blazer oil leak

I have a 86, S10, 4W Dr. Blazer. It is used with about 210,000.00 miles on it. I took it out the other day (for the first time) four wheeling I had it in 4W low range. When I got back home I opened the hood and what did I see. There was all kinds of oil on the right side panel and down under the engien. I checked the dipstick and there was heardly any oil on it. What could cause this to happen?????????

HELPPPPPPPPPP

Old 09-30-03, 06:02 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
You need to degrease engine and see where oil is coming from.
You more than likely had a tremendous pan pressure buildup. With those miles and if you were really cobbing it, may have blown rings.It is probably coming from VC gasket. Maybe timing cover seal. "if" its a 2.8, those were bad leakers everywhere. VC's, rear main, you name it.

Old 09-30-03, 07:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Agree. Gunk the piss out of it, change the oil and filter and fire it up.

The leak will probably be fairly evident. Sounds like the engine is old, tired and rough.

Old 10-01-03, 06:52 AM
Talking I forgot

I forgot to say that I did refill the oil, degrease the engine and looked for the leak. I found nothing. After that I drove the Blazer for about 500 miles pulling a utility trailer and used no oil nor had any leaks.?????????????

The only time it did this when I was 4 Wheeling!

Old 10-01-03, 07:09 AM
B
ARE U SURE IT WAS ENGINE OIL THAT U SAW?

Old 10-01-03, 07:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How are the other fluids?

Old 10-02-03, 06:57 AM
Red face YES

When the engine oil dip stick shows nothing on it and I had to add about 2 or 3 Qts oil then that tells me it was engine oil.????????????????

Old 10-02-03, 07:05 AM
B
WELL, TRY GOING FOUR WHEELING AGAIN LIKE U DID AND SEE IF THE LEAK RESURFACES. STEP ONE TO DIAGNOSIS IS TO DUPLICATE THE CONCERN. THEN IF IT LEAKS REAL BAD AND THE OIL IS DOWN 3 QUARTS U MIGHT BE ON TO SOMETHING.
MAYBE STOP HALFWAY ON YOUR FOUR WHEELING ADVENTURE AND GIVING IT A LOOK BEFORE EVERYTHING IS COATED TO TRY AND ISOLATE THE SOURCE.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: