Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Water Temperature Question

Visiting Guest

09-30-03, 05:55 PM   #1  
KLSPES
Water Temperature Question

I HAVE A 1995 OLDSMOBILE ACHIEVA AND I AM HAVING SOME WATER TEMPERATURE PROBLEMS THAT HAS GOT ME VERY PUZZLED AND I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP OR ADVISE ON THIS MATTER.
WHEN THE VEHICLE SITS AND IDLES THE WATER TEMPERATURE IS 220 AND THE RADIATOR IS COOL.
WHEN I REV UP THE MOTOR THE WATER TEMPERATURE IS NORMAL BUT THE RADIATOR IS VERY HOT.
I HAVE REPLACED THE RADIATOR AND THERMOSTAT AND IT DIDN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM.
THE VEHICLE HAS 125, 000 MILES ON IT AND RUNS EXCELLENT OTHER THAN THIS WATER TEMP. PROBLEM.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

Sponsored Links

OK

09-30-03, 08:07 PM   #2  
I don't know much about your OLDSMOBILE ACHIEVA, is there some way to check if the water pump is pumping at the low revs?I assume the radiator fans are working at the right temperatures?

Visiting Guest

10-01-03, 06:17 AM   #3  
Joe_F
The gauge could be wrong, never trust it.

Read the actual coolant temperature with a scanner and tell us what you find. If you didn't use a GM/Delco thermostat, throw out the one you have in the vehicle now and use an OEM one, as some aftermarket ones are crap.

10-01-03, 06:32 AM   #4  
you are describing normal operation.
if the fan kicks on at 220, that is normal.
If the gage comes back down when u drive it, this is normal.
what exactly makes u think there is a problem? Is it using coolant?
Talk to me goose!

Visiting Guest

10-01-03, 06:54 AM   #5  
darrell McCoy
Higher idling temp is normal. Perhaps your system is airlocked.

Visiting Guest

10-04-03, 09:41 PM   #6  
KLSPES
RUNNING HOT

HEY BIGGUY, I JUST SENT YOU A RESPONSE BUT I ACCIDENTALLY SENT IT AS A PRIVATE MESSAGE INSTEAD OF JUST A NORMAL RESPONSE ON THE BOARD. OOPS......... STILL NEW AT THIS POSTING STUFF.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Visiting Guest

10-05-03, 08:19 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Have you resolved the "Problem" ?

Visiting Guest

10-05-03, 08:29 AM   #8  
KLSPES
water temp

No such luck on solving the problem yet.
I haven't done the scanner thing yet but I thought I would take the air pocket hose off and rev up the engine to 3000 rpm, i kept pouring anifreeze in until all the air was out of the airlock hose. now the car is running over 240 and the hot engine light is coming on while idling and when you rev it up the temp comes back down. Now I am really puzzled.
I am thinking about replacing the bottom radiator hose and the radiator cap- what do you think?

Visiting Guest

10-05-03, 08:51 AM   #9  
Joe_F
On a car this old, I would have thrown those out long ago....

However, make sure you actually HAVE a problem before going nuts!

Search this Thread