Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

96 Acura Integra

Visiting Guest

09-30-03, 09:51 PM   #1  
lansk35
96 Acura Integra

113K, 4Dr Sedan 1.8L
I took it for inspection and did not pass for the following reasons:
1. Wipers do not work intermittent or regular speed - only at the fast speed (and when you turn it off, does not return to the bottom of windshield).
2. Was told that I need to replace Left Rear E brake cable, caliper (both rear) and strong recommendation for replacing rear brake pads.
Questions:
- was quoted $60-$90 for diag check of #1 above to determine if problem is motor ($75 - $100) or switch ($70 -$150) - is this reasonable and is this something I could do myself (basic mech skills)?
- I have done brakes (pads, calipers, bleeding) before but never cable. Should I consider this myself if so - how easily attainable is the e brake cable (& cost) and do I need special tools for this job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-01-03, 06:15 AM   #2  
Joe_F
First thing to do is read up how to do it. Look at the links in my signature file below or pick up a shop manual. Then decide if you have the tools, time and know-how to do it.

All of the needed parts should be available from any parts store or Acura dealer in a day or two.

Throw out both calipers, replace them both. Throw out the friction back there, no good, put new pads. NEVER gamble with brakes.

If the back is wasted, you'll probably find the front isn't much better, so do the job once and correctly. Replace both cables as well for the E-brake.

The wiper problem could be a bad switch too, again, some service manual reference helps here with testing procedures.

Search this Thread