Manual Trnasmission spindle

Old 10-01-03, 12:02 PM
warrenmj
Visiting Guest
Question Manual Trnasmission spindle

I have a 1996 Toyota Tacoma Pickup, 2wd. I just replaced the pressure plate (talk about a good time )but I put the transmission back on without putting high temperature grease on the spindle. Although I am not completely finished with the job, is it necessary to go back and put the grease on, or can I go without it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-03, 12:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I don't think you want to do it twice. Follow the procedure to the letter.

Old 10-01-03, 05:48 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
the less grease---the better, too much could contaminate the friction disc and then you will be doing it one more time.

the grease's only job is to prevent rust from forming on the splines, so the disc can move freely .010 of an inch away from the flywheel. if you have no rust, theoretically you would need no grease, but a very thin coat helps, usually what was there before is enough to work again, unless you cleaned it all off with a spray type cleaner.

the throwout bearing support is a different story, it needs a good coating of grease to slide smoothly in and out, but not too much to drip down and fall off.

ps. change your trans fluid while it's out, i usually overfill it on the ground, then install it, then take out the fill plug and let it run out until it's at the correct level, much easier this way.

Old 10-01-03, 05:57 PM
Grease on the splines is not a good thing. It mixes with the clutch dust and makes a paste that prevents the disc from sliding freely.

A trick I like is to put a little valve grinding compound on the splines and "lap" the disc to the splines. Clean off all the compound and you will have disc that glides along the splines.

Larry