hard to start

Old 10-01-03, 05:38 PM
johnny joe
Visiting Guest
hard to start

My 92 Honda Accord starts instantly when cold, but won't when hot, or even just barely warmed up. One solution suggested by a repair manual is to replace the fuel filter. I'm wondering what the connection is between a filter and heat and also what are the other remedies? Plugs, wires and rotor have been recently replaced.

johnny joe

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-03, 04:15 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Throw out all the ignition parts (cap, rotor, wires, etc) and make sure they are the updated Honda parts. Honda has had numerous problems with these and has updated the parts many, many times.

Main relay problems also plague these vehicles. So do bad coils and ignitors. Honda was eating repairs on these at one point. Check alldata.com for any bulletins.

More than likely an ignitor, coil, or main relay problem.

Old 10-02-03, 01:16 PM
YOU'RE RIGHT IT IS QUESTIONABLE TO MAKE A CONNECTION BETWEEN ENGINE TEMP AND A FUEL FILTER.
ALSO, DON'T THROW AWAY ANYTHING UNTIL U KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS...UPDATES OR NOT. THAT STUFF COSTS MONEY.
ENGINES REQUIRE MUCH MORE FUEL TO START COLD, THEN WHEN HOT. SO IF IT STARTS GOOD COLD, BUT NOT HOT, THERE MAY BE A OVERFUELING CONCERN.
WHAT DO U DO TO FINALLY GET IT GOING?
I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS FUEL INJECTED OR CARBURATED?CAN U TELL? ALSO HOW DOES IT RUN OTHERWISE? AND DID THE PROBLEM SURFACE AFTER THE TUNE UP STUFFF WAS PUT IN?

Old 10-02-03, 03:28 PM
johnny joe
Visiting Guest
Before the tune-up it sometimes was hard to start after warmng up but it is worse now after new plugs, wires and rotor and coil. The old plugs were almost completely burned up. The car runs great now. Now when it won't start it usually has to sit for a long time before starting.

I don't notice any gas odor when it fails to start. So don't suspect flooding.

It is fuel injected and Chiltons has information on testing the injectors but haven't gotten around to trying that.

Old 10-02-03, 07:55 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
BG:

Starting with 1990, all Accords are only fuel injected. 1989 and down had carburetors in some models.

As I mentioned there have been wicked problems with the ignition systems on these. At one point, Honda made you pitch the distributor for a new one to be SURE you got the updated stuff.

Check alldata.com for starters.