Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Brakes

Visiting Guest

10-02-03, 06:16 AM   #1  
duce110
Brakes

95 Honda Civic Ex Coupe 125000 miles

I have a question. A couple of months ago I changed the brake pads and rotors (Front) and had no problems doing so. When I finished, I started backing up the car, and when I tried to stop I had to press the brakes all the way down. But I did everything I was supposed to, after I changed the brake pads and rotor, I pumped the brakes before I started driving the car. Anyway, I kept driving it like that for awhile, and everytime I have to stop, I press the brakes and I have press the pedal all the way down in order to stop. Don't get me wrong, I can stop pretty well, but you know when you go to a shop and they do the brakes for you, all you have to do is tap the brake pedal gently and it'll stop, well thats what I want to get the car doing. I thought it might be that I have air in my brake system, but I just wanted to get someone's opionin before I start doing anything. I'll be going this weekend or next weekend to a shop to cut my rotors and to change the brack pads, and I also wnated to fix the problem I'm having. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-02-03, 06:17 AM   #2  
Joe_F
When you did the job, was the brake pedal hard? How's the level of fluid in the master cylinder? Any leaks now? Recheck your work...

Visiting Guest

10-02-03, 06:21 AM   #3  
duce110
I checked my work yesterday when I went to midas to get a new exhaust system from the cad converter all the way back (pipe broke in half). While he was changing it, I was looking around and everything was fine. No leaks, and my fluid is full. Before I did the work, it was hard. After I finished, I pumped my brakes, and I tried to back up and thats when I realized the problem. Again, the get me wrong, they work fine, but if I need to make a emergency stop, it will take awhile before it stops (if I'm going above 50mph).

Visiting Guest

10-02-03, 06:44 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Disc or drum rears? Sounds like something's out of adjustment perhaps if there's no leaks.

How's the fluid level in the master cylinder? Did you have the cap on the master when you did the job? May have sucked air in if you didn't.

Visiting Guest

10-02-03, 07:26 AM   #5  
duce110
That's probably the problem, cause I don't remember if I had the cap off

Visiting Guest

10-02-03, 07:28 AM   #6  
duce110
Whats the best thing to do, just take it to a shop and have them change the brakes and cut the rotors. They might as well fix my little problem too.

Visiting Guest

10-02-03, 07:36 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Try bleeding the system and seeing if the pedal comes back. You may have drawn in air.

10-02-03, 07:45 AM   #8  
NOT SURE IF U HAVE REAR DRUMS OR NOT.
IF U HAVE DRUMS IN REAR, GRAB THE E-BRAKE CABLE AND PULL IT AND NOTE HOW FAR THE CABLE TRAVELS BEFORE IT STOPS.THIS IS WHILE LOOKING WHERE THE CABLE GOES INTO THE CABLE HOUSING TO EACH REAR WHEEL. IF IT GOES MUCH FARTHER THAN 1/4", THE SHOES MIGHT BE OUT OF ADJUSTMENT. TAKE THE DRUMS OFF AND ADJUST THEM IF SO.

Search this Thread