Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Squeaks & Creaks in 97' Chrysler T&C

10-02-03, 01:13 PM   #1  
Squeaks & Creaks in 97' Chrysler T&C

Joe_F, I have another problem with my 97' Chrysler T&C which squeaks & creaks especially on bumps. I have changed out the sway bar bushings as the old ones looked worn and some of the noise went away. The next thing I was planning to do was to replace the stabilizer bar links, but before I do that I was wondering is there anyway to lubricate it. There's a rubber boot on the end of the stud bolt and I was wondering if I can inject some lubricant in there. I took one apart using a torx and an 18 mm wrench so I think I know how to replace one if I had to. Is there anyway of telling when one is worn and needs replacement?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-02-03, 01:24 PM   #2  
Joe_F
You could also have bad struts. See any leaks/traces of oil on them???

Alldata come up with anything?

10-02-03, 01:31 PM   #3  
The struts look fine and there appears to be no leakage. Also the ride seems fine with no abnormal bounce because of bad struts. It's hard to identify where exactly the noise is coming from other than it is on the driver's side in the front. Will bad stabilizer links cause a creaking noise?

Visiting Guest

10-02-03, 01:34 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Start by reviewing any bulletins here at Alldata that might match your symptoms. If you find any, have the Chrysler dealer print them out for you. That will be a good start:

http://alldata.com/TSB/13/971306CR.html

10-02-03, 02:34 PM   #5  
Nothing obvious on Alldata, but if the link is an item that wears over time then it may not be a TSB issue. One thing I noticed is that the noise is more pronounced when I turn the wheel and then go over a bump like when I am entering my driveway. That's why I suspected the link. I guess my question is whether a worn link would cause the creaking noise? I priced it out and they are about $40 each. The vehicle does have 93K miles on it so I am wondering whether to just go ahead and change it.

TX

10-03-03, 03:43 AM   #6  
lube

This is only a Temp fix at best get some silicone spray(not WD-40) spray rubber bushings to make things quiet.
Silicone will not hurt the rubber so use only that.

Visiting Guest

10-03-03, 03:47 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Looking at Alldata quickly, I thought I saw a few possible matches. Have the dealer print them out and read them closely.

10-03-03, 04:32 AM   #8  
Hi! Joe_F, I came across TSB 02-004-01 JUL 01 Front Suspension - Knock/Squawk Sound which sounds similar. Not knowing the exact details of the TSB, I would venture to guess that it's most likely related to sway bar bushings. I don't have subscription to Alldata so I can't verify that for certain. I doubt if the dealer will tell me what it is, since they are pretty secretive about stuff like this. Any other thoughts as to where I can get the details of TSB 02-004-01.

Visiting Guest

10-03-03, 06:37 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Ya, I have the bulletins here. Send me a fax # and I will send them to you.

10-03-03, 10:08 AM   #10  
Hey Joe_F, How do I send you my fax# without posting it on this message board.?

Visiting Guest

10-03-03, 11:14 AM   #11  
Joe_F
[email protected]

Umm, I don't think it's a big deal to post a fax # here.

Last edited by Joe_F; 10-03-03 at 11:32 AM.

Visiting Guest

10-03-03, 12:53 PM   #12  
Joe_F
Sent. You should have it now.

10-03-03, 01:04 PM   #13  
Got it, thanks a lot. I sprayed the link with silicone and that seemed to have quieted them down. This may be a temporary fix and I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks again.

Visiting Guest

10-03-03, 01:35 PM   #14  
Joe_F
Hey! Joe,

Thanks a lot for the TSBs you faxed. I am almost certain it's the sway bar links because I sprayed it with silicone spray and they seemed to have quieted down. I'll keep an eye out for them and eventually replace them if this doesn't fix it. Thanks again, you are a great guy. Have a wonderful weekend, my friend

--------------

No problem and keep us in the loop with what fixed the problem.

10-13-03, 06:45 AM   #15  
Joe_F thanks to your help, I think I've fixed my creaking noise problem. I believe the problem was due to a combination of faulty sway bar links and the rear cradle bolt on the left side. I replaced the sway bar links and readjusted the bolt per the TSB that you faxed to me. That seems to have resolved it for now, but I'll keep my ears open nevertheless. You are a super guy, and I couldn't have done it without your support. My hats off to you!!!

Visiting Guest

10-13-03, 08:12 AM   #16  
Joe_F
No problem and glad the TSB helped and it's fixed.

Side note to MikeNJ: This is why I think TSB's are great and should be read by EVERY technician, EVERY time, because one never knows what solves the issue.

Visiting Guest

10-13-03, 10:14 PM   #17  
mike from nj
you are so right joe, i don't know why i ever doubted you, i guess from now on i'll just listen to your answers.

but what do i do when there's no bulletins pertaining to my actual problem/complaint(95% of the time)? or no stored fault codes? does that mean nothing is wrong with the car?

Visiting Guest

10-14-03, 04:05 AM   #18  
Joe_F
Bulletins are ALWAYS the place to start. Why pave your own road when the highway might be there (someone has discovered and fixed the problem).?

In this case, it was known there were suspension bulletins that might pertain to the problem, worth a look. Sure enough, this is a common problem and it solved the issue.

First place I would look if I'm stumped is the bulletins. If you read Babcox's Underhood or Brake and Front end, all of the top guys there will always review bulletins first. I particularly like the writing style of Gary Goms of that magazine as he puts repairs and diagnosis in the vernacular so everyone can follow along.

Point: Always try all angles. Bulletins are an effective tool in a technician's toolbox and shouldn't be ignored. It probably takes 5 minutes on a dealer computer to see if there's anything pertaining to the problem at hand with a customer's car.

Chances are if you're doing enough of the same problem, you'll see a TSB.

Worth the time. All the time, every time . My only point here.

10-14-03, 04:14 AM   #19  
I think the bottom line in all troubleshooting strategy is to first isolate and then try to pinpoint the cause. I think Joe's point is that TSBs is just another aid that could help pinpoint the cause, especially if it's a chronic problem that has affected more than one vehicle from the same manufacturer. It's a good place to start to rule out the obvious. After all most difficult troubleshooting is a trial and error process anyway, whether or not TSBs or codes are available. The more experience one has with a particular vehicle the faster they can diagnose the exact problem accurately. A few months ago the clockspring mechanism on my van went and at first the symptoms were that my horn wasn't working. At first I thought, a defective relay or horn switch. But then I looked into it deeper and I came across a TSB which had to do with the Clock Spring wiring assembly which includes the wiring for the horn & cruise control functions. It turns out that it was a faulty clock spring and there was a recall on it. I don't think you can troubleshoot every problem with a TSB, but it certainly doesn't hurt to enter some specific keywords to try to see if you get a hit on your problem. Thanks to both of you for sharing your valuable insights for us do-it-yourselfers.

Visiting Guest

10-15-03, 12:25 AM   #20  
mike from nj
slc, all the points you made are exactly correct, i feel like copying your post and posting it again for all to reread, especially the first sentence.

joe, why don't you forward me that bulletin# for the cradle bolt, it doesn't show up on my list of applicable bulletins

why didn't you point out 19-14-97, it lists a noise from the tie-rod ends

Visiting Guest

10-15-03, 03:41 AM   #21  
Joe_F
Mike,

Go to www.alldata.com and look up "Bulletins and Recalls" for a 1997 Chrysler Truck,Town and Country. Pick an engine and the bulletin titles come up.

In this case, SLC told me which #s he wanted and I faxed him those in question.

Search this Thread