1987izuzutrooper

Old 10-02-03, 07:14 PM
tpf45
Visiting Guest
Question 1987izuzutrooper

I have a 1987 izuzu trooper that was given to me and all i have is fouth gear out of a five speed no reverse either. Are mech at my employer seams to think it is something simple because he says you cannot burn up 5 gears plus reverse all at once. Truck runs good but does not move

4cyl 4wdrive 2dr Need more info please reply.

Thanks TPF45

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-03, 07:42 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Possible internal tranny failure, what's the history on this thing?

Old 10-03-03, 08:18 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
start calling import salvage yards(junkyards)

4th gear is the input shaft connected directly to the output shaft---'direct drive'. this is bypassing all internal gears. when you drive it low on fluid(and you did) it strips the input shaft's gear right off. this i've seen pretty often, and it can only occur with no fluid inside the thing. i'm sure it was whining louder and louder until it finally gave out, then someone gave you your 'free' gift.

1987 is the transition year between the old cast iron transfer case and the modern aluminum one, so you could have either. the modern one is much easier to get out, the cast iron one has a welded crossmember to the frame and is a mutha of a job to do. good luck! the trans and transfer case come out as one, and is an awkward job to do on the ground, but it is possible for the motivated.

ps. the cost of the parts to rebuild it is 10 times the cost of the salvage unit if you can find one.