Bearings or ball joints

Old 10-02-03, 09:14 PM
Hawger
Visiting Guest
Bearings or ball joints

My father who was a pretty good SHADE tree mechanic (people where always lined up at our house)

used to tell me....jack wheel up and grab top and bottom of wheel and try to move............

then grab side to side and do same.............

looking for slope/play in either position..

up and down>>>> meant bearings
side to side meant>>>>>ball joints

ORRRRRRRRR
visa versa

I remeber at this time, this seems like good advice.....
but, I never HEAR it...........hmmmmmmm

any thoughts....this was in the 70's-80's

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-03, 10:41 PM
it varys where you need to jack the car up in order to take the load off of the ball joints to check them back 30 years ago you pretty much just placed the jack under the lower control arm for most cars.
a wheel bearing can have play both up and down and side to side, a ball joint you check the up and down movement to see if there is any play, side to side play could also be a worn tie rod or other steering linkage component. any slop and you must look at the different components to see exactly where it is coming from but is still used to check for worn front end components.

Old 10-03-03, 08:41 AM
YEAH EACH VEHICLE HAS IT 'S OWN PROCEDURE TO CHECK FOR FRONT END COMPONENTS. PROBLEM IS, MECHANICS WILL STILL USE THE OLD SCHOOL PROCEDURES AND FAIL STUFF THAT ISN'T REALLY FAILED.
CHEVY TRUCK IDLER ARMS AND S-10 BALL JOINTS ARE A GOOD EXAMPLE OF BEING WRONGLY FAILED OF EPIC AMOUNTS. WE GET AT LEAST ONE OR TWO A WEEK WHERE AN INDEPENDANT FAILED THE BALL JOINTS ON A S-10 BLAZER FOR A STATE INSPECTION. AND THEN THE FUNNY PART IS THE BURDEN OF PROOF SEEMS TO FALL ON THE DEALER TO CONVINCE THE CUSTOMER OTHERWISE...

Old 10-03-03, 09:06 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Which I would do as a dealer by saying:

"Here is the spec from GM for the ball joint from the shop manual. Now here is your test results. Part is fine".

Half the battle is having the proof that you are right and showing the customer so they have a chance to understand.

Old 10-03-03, 09:39 AM
mmmm what's also interesting is that the public will accept an independant's shot from the hip......and the dealer must supply "proof". I guess this would be a con to working in a dealer, is society's inherent distrust of dealerships.
A customer will go home feeling good about spending $300 at an independant for ball joints he didn't need, but damn that dealer that said they were okay.

Search this Thread