Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

transmission fluid in brake chamber !

PA

10-03-03, 10:00 AM   #1  
transmission fluid in brake chamber !

I accidently put transmission fluid instead of brake fluid in our bronco. If we drain the fluid and put new in - (bleed the brakes) will it be okay?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-03-03, 11:15 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Possibly . This can be a MAJOR problem as it could run some parts.

Sorry to say that tranny fluid swells seals, so you're looking minimally at a new master cylinder and everything rubber in the braking system such as new hoses and wheel cylinders.

DO NOT gamble with anything. Flush out the lines completely.

Visiting Guest

10-04-03, 10:45 AM   #3  
mike from nj
about once a year we have a car towed in to the shop like this. the oil mixes with the brake fluid and swells all the seals in the system pretty quickly. the master cylinder is the first to go, both pistons are rendered useless and the pedal will go to the floor with no stopping whatsoever. i have to use the e-brake to get it into the shop.

flushing it out probably won't save it, and i wouldn't take a chance with my or anyone elses life on the road.

i sometimes take chances with my own cars, but this is one thing i wouldn't even do.

the proper fix is a new master cylinder, all new hoses, new calipers/wheel cylinders, new combination valve and new whatever abs components are in line. the only things reused are the steel brake lines and they are thoroughly flushed with compressed air and cleaner and then more compressed air.

the pedal might fail when you least expect it!

what's cheaper, fixing it now, or a lawsuit or someone's life?

PA

10-23-03, 06:30 PM   #4  
I want to get this fixed - but I have too many people trying to tell me that everything is okay. The brakes were changed and the fluid drained and replaced.

Is there anyway at all that someone could tell if all is well ? Any type of test or is there something to look at ?

I personally want to heed your advice - I would rather be safe then sorry - but the static is sooo overwhelming!

Thank you again!

Valgoak

10-23-03, 06:43 PM   #5  
The bottom line is "if the oil touched the rubber, that component's history" If you could be sure the oil never went past the master, you'd be safe to change only master. Was the brake pedal depressed at all during the time the oil was in the resovoir? Hard question to answer isn't it? If it was removed immediatly and never driven, I would expect the wheels will be OK. If it was driven, all bets are off.

Group Moderator

FL

10-24-03, 04:35 AM   #6  
And , of course, the people telling you it's all okay won't be the ones going down the highway at 70 miles an hour either. You didn't say how old the Bronco is or how many miles are on it, but the older/more miles on it the more critical the problem could be and the sooner it could show up. Plus any or all of the components could be near their service life anyway. Cheap insurance and all your brake components will be good to go for a long time.

Mike - I don't think I've ever towed one in for that; is it a Joisey thing? LOL

Visiting Guest

10-24-03, 06:40 AM   #7  
Joe_F
TG:

I have seen it all. LOL. Again, brakes are not something to gamble.

If this were my vehicle, I'd be throwing everything out for new for safety's sake.

As noted, you don't want your brakes failing on you at highway speed.

Visiting Guest

10-24-03, 09:20 PM   #8  
mike from nj
tow guy---more like a 'jiffy lube' thing (amongst the other business that they provide us)
if it's not a brake pedal on the floor(with no hint of the vehicle stopping at all)-- it's a left front caliper froze solid. i take the master cylinder cap off, the lid seal is usually swelled to twice the size of a normal one, then i get my pen out and start writing.

valgoak---this won't fix itself, and it won't go away by itself. the fuse is lit on your brake pedal and it is going to blow---who knows when, who knows where, who knows how fast you'll be going? i've seen this happen with my own eyes.

if you don't have abs, it isn't that expensive. master cylinder, front hoses, front calipers, rear hose, rear wheel cylinders, combination valve(plus maybe the RWAL valve, if so equipped)

flush out the steel lines with compressed air, then parts cleaner, then more air, replace the parts, bleed the system and sleep easy that your truck will stop everytime.

Group Moderator

FL

10-25-03, 08:07 AM   #9  
Ahh, yes, got to love those quick lube places. I haven't done one in a while, but I know of a couple of places that have had to buy new motors for their customers when the oil drain plug fell out after an oil change. Even had one that lost the oil filter.

Search this Thread