Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1993 Honda Accord Antenna

Visiting Guest

10-04-03, 07:48 AM   #1  
kianje
1993 Honda Accord Antenna

I have the electrical antenna that has a broken mast. Could this be replaced with a non-electrical antenna? (one that just stays in whatever position I put it in.) Would like to connect the same wiring and just bolt in a new one. The plastic gearing that raises and lowers the one I have now is already broken so it is of no use anyway.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-04-03, 10:55 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Just about any parts store should have a manual antenna for your car.

Visiting Guest

10-04-03, 02:31 PM   #3  
kianje
Thanks for the reply Joe. Would I just hook up the wire that is now connected to this antenna or would I have to run the new wire all the way to the radio?

Also, where do I get to this antenna? Trunk panel, under the car? Seems hidden

Thanks

Visiting Guest

10-05-03, 08:44 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Antenna unit is in the trunk on that car.

On my 84 Oldsmobile, I got it from my uncle. Someone snapped off the power antenna in NYC when my cousin took the car there some years ago.

I simply bought an 8 dollar antenna and attached it to the stub of what was left after grinding it clean. Been there since 1996. LOL.

Visiting Guest

10-29-03, 11:43 AM   #5  
kianje
Hi, I have gotten around to this antenna replacement and have a couple more questions.

The O.D. of the broken antenna is 5/16 and everything I have found in the kind that slip over the stud (other than those with the spring at the base of them) says that the diameter has to 1/4 or under.

If I cannot find anything larger, I may have to resort to just replacing the whole antenna with a manual. I am pretty good at doing things of this nature but for some reason, I cannot exactly see how this electric antenna comes out. Actually I would have already did this when I found my OD was too large had I been clear on the removal. I have had the chrome ring off from on top of the fender. From there I cannot see any threads on top or underneath. I have tried to find this without having to bother you guys but repair manuals I have read do not cover this easy
stuff.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Visiting Guest

10-29-03, 12:01 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Hit your Honda dealer's parts counter and ask for an exploded view of the antenna and how it's mounted. That should get you going.

Visiting Guest

10-29-03, 12:08 PM   #7  
kianje
Thanks Joe, for the quick reply too.

Visiting Guest

10-29-03, 01:21 PM   #8  
Joe_F
Sure. Let us know the outcome.

Search this Thread