Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2003 legacy wagon 4cyl auto

Visiting Guest

10-04-03, 01:30 PM   #1  
connethia
2003 legacy wagon 4cyl auto

my soninlaw and daughter own this car. It was in for a push pull rod recall in april 03. 4 days ago my wife and grandson of 13 mo. were in the back seat,my daughter was driving.She pulled into her driveway put the car in park pulled the e-brake and got out to run into the house,the car was running!!!It took of in reverse took out three mailboxes and jumped a curb and ran into another car.the nieghbors ran out and everybody there noticed that it was still in park with the e-brake on!!!Mostly because my wife was screaming about it.We had it towed to carter subaru in shoreline,wa where she bought it and they said all they could find was the e-brake needed adjustment and hosed me for a tow bill.when it gets out of the body shop(2500 dollars damage)they'll be afraid to drive it!!!!!Anybody have any idea's,as I can't find anything on this other than recall info....HELP!!!!

Last edited by connethia; 10-04-03 at 07:06 PM.

Sponsored Links

WV

10-04-03, 05:55 PM   #2  
Here is the Recall info as well as a telephone number for the consumer:
This even spells out what you had happen. I wouldn't be paying for anything not even one of the mailboxes. Subaru would be owing ME!!!
I hope this helps ya,
Billy

2003 Subaru Legacy F4-2457cc 2.5L SOHC MFl Copyright 0 2003, ALLDATA 7.50 Page I
Vehicle: All Technical Service Bulletins
Recall 02V282000: A/T Park Rod Assembly Replacement
DEFECT: Certain passenger and sport utility vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions were produced with an improperly
manufactured transmission parking rod. When the transmission selector lever is placed in the "P" (PARK.) position, the transmission park mechanism, which is intended to hold the vehicle, may not engage. The vehicle could then move/roll without prior warning, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY: Dealers will replace the automatic transmission parking rod assembly. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification is expected to begin during January 2003. An interim owner notification will be sent during November 2002. Owners should contact Subaru at 1-800-782-2783.

Visiting Guest

10-04-03, 06:37 PM   #3  
darrell McCoy
definately was a problem with this. I would also file a complaint with the NHTSA on this problem, even tho suburu knows about it.

Visiting Guest

10-04-03, 07:18 PM   #4  
connethia
Originally posted by billys68ss
Here is the Recall info as well as a telephone number for the consumer:
This even spells out what you had happen. I wouldn't be paying for anything not even one of the mailboxes. Subaru would be owing ME!!!
I hope this helps ya,
Billy

2003 Subaru Legacy F4-2457cc 2.5L SOHC MFl Copyright 0 2003, ALLDATA 7.50 Page I
Vehicle: All Technical Service Bulletins
Recall 02V282000: A/T Park Rod Assembly Replacement
DEFECT: Certain passenger and sport utility vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions were produced with an improperly
manufactured transmission parking rod. When the transmission selector lever is placed in the "P" (PARK.) position, the transmission park mechanism, which is intended to hold the vehicle, may not engage. The vehicle could then move/roll without prior warning, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY: Dealers will replace the automatic transmission parking rod assembly. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification is expected to begin during January 2003. An interim owner notification will be sent during November 2002. Owners should contact Subaru at 1-800-782-2783.

Visiting Guest

10-05-03, 08:27 AM   #5  
Joe_F
And people chewed me out for commenting about Subaru's "quality", ho hummmmmmm

Original poster:

1) Call up Subaru corporate and have them

a) Buy back this lemon
b) Reimburse you for the damage done
c) Take it back within 10 days.

This vehicle isn't safe as-is and the dealer level will get you nowhere. Talk to Subaru corporate and tell them the vehicle is dangerous and useless and they should buy you a new vehicle.

I wouldn't accept anything else. Not only is it defective and almost killed you, it's damaged now (hitting mailboxes, etc).

Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 08:38 AM   #6  
connethia
I've filed a complaint with the NHTSA,and also called subaru at1-800-782-2783.There sending a accident report to my daughter but they said this all would defere to her insurance company farmers.Customer service also said that it wouln't be covered under the" lemon law" I want to thank everybody so far for all of your help,I'm going to pursue this and get satisfaction.They were really smug about this problem at Carter Subaru in Shoreline,Wa. and I want a piece of them!!!!!!

Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 09:00 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Ask them if they would be smug if your vehicle killed or seriously injured someone?

Do they know the extent of the damage? They probably want nothing to do with it and are making it Subaru corporate's problem.

I'd be on the phone with a lawyer at this point. I'd also be shopping for a new vehicle too.

Search this Thread