air conditioning

Old 10-04-03, 04:35 PM
darwin
Visiting Guest
air conditioning

I have a 93 cavalier. The air does not seem to be coming out of the dash vents as it should. The motor seems to work fine and all switchs seem to change settings but very little air comes out of the vents even on the max setting. Is there somthing I should look for?
Thanks; Darwin

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-03, 04:41 PM
Do you mean "COLD air is not coming out" or very little air movement is coming out?

Given the age of the car, you have a refrigerent leak. Time to convert the system to r134 and replace all the o-rings at the same time to eliminate the leak.

Old 10-04-03, 05:34 PM
darwin
Visiting Guest
Air conditioning

Very little air movement. The air seems cold what little there is.

Old 10-04-03, 06:21 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
check all the small vac hoses pertaining to control swx. At this age, maybe some are split or collapsed.

Old 10-04-03, 07:03 PM
darwin
Visiting Guest
air conditioning

Is there any way to get a vac hose diagram for this car?Thanks: darwin

Old 10-05-03, 07:15 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
You could try a dealer or parts store. Tracing those heater control hoses is not that big a deal. I dont remember off hand but I think either underneath the hood it self or on an inside fender, there is a plastic ball about 2" or so, start there on tracing hoses. It could be the dash control or hoses there also.

Old 10-05-03, 07:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lugnut:

This is a vacuum problem, not a refrigerant problem.

Original poster: You need a diagram of this vacuum system. A shop manual or Alldata subscription will give you a good one. You're going to need it for other repairs down the road anyhow, now's the time for a good investment.

As Darrell noted, many times the vacuum lines going to the throttle body or engine split and you get a no vacuum condition. Check them all carefully for splits and problems and replace as required.

Old 10-05-03, 08:27 AM
mmm, uh Joe, mmm . Given the fact that it was I who first asked the poster for clarification of the symptoms, especially since the post was titled "air conditioning" and not 'blower', I can't help but wonder why you felt the need to direct a reply toward me instead of the poster who seeks help. Are you suggesting that anyone else would have known the solution based on the title and first post, beside me?

Puzzled,
Lugnut

Old 10-05-03, 08:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

We just shouldn't be confusing the original poster with two separate problems, that is all........

The problem is vacuum related because we are talking about "volume of air".

A leaky A/C system will pump out tons of air through the vents, it will just be hot.