New/Used Carb trouble

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-03, 05:28 PM
Vet101
Visiting Guest
Question New/Used Carb trouble

Just installed a Holley Street Avenger carb. I got off of E-Bay came with no paper work. The problem I can get the thing to fire if I pump the gas a little, runs for 2-3seconds and stops.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-03, 05:37 PM
What kind of car/engine? What condition was the carb in when you received it? NEW?? or USED??
Billy

Old 10-04-03, 09:56 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
probably the guy before you couldn't figure it out either---so he sold it.

how did it idle with the original carb on it?
can you hold the throttle open and make it somewhat idle?
i'm betting that there's the remnants of stale gas inside this thing---clogging critical passages.
either that or you got a 'basket case' carb that someone threw back together to make a quick sale.

either way, you need to start taking it apart until you find the problem, and it's not hard to do either.

Old 10-05-03, 05:38 AM
Vet101
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by billys68ss
What kind of car/engine? What condition was the carb in when you received it? NEW?? or USED??
Billy
Used - Just rebuild 383 sounds great the 2 seconds in run, If I spray some fuel into carb in will start and stop also. Thank for help.

Old 10-05-03, 07:11 AM
if you cant keep it running on carb cleaner you likely have another problem that is not carb related. if it dies as soon as you quit spraying carb cleaner into carb you need to check fuel supply by taking off the fuel line and cranking engine over and allowing fuel to go into a container to make sure it is getting fuel up to the carb, if it is getting fuel up to carb may have to take carb apart and rebuild.

Old 10-05-03, 07:13 AM
Like Mike said..... Sounds like a rebuild is in order. You may have a sticking float causing this. Get a good Holley rebuild kit and a new power valve and go from there. Let us know what your results are.
Billy

Old 10-05-03, 08:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Put it back up on Ebay, flip it, make your money back and then some, and put the stock carburetor on there---in my opinion your money is better spent elsewhere.

Those "Universal" performance carburetors are "OK" for most, never "RIGHT" for anything. That's why they are universal. The original carburetor can be reworked by a GOOD shop to perform and fit better than any hokey Holley "performance" replacement.

A friend of mine did some tweaks to a '79 Vette Quadrajet by following the Carburetor Shop's ideas and what a world of difference.

You'll be miles ahead with an original OEM carburetor tweaked to perform. There are guys out there that can run wonders around these things.

I do think that you may also have other troubles as well, like Billy mentioned. What's the fuel pump outlet pressure? How are the other components such as tune up items?

Old 10-05-03, 09:17 AM
Hey mister parts man.... Holley was an OE installed carb on lots of cars back in the day. From the sound of it this poster has a high perfomance engine and a Q-Jet just doesnt fit the bill. No matter how much you "tweak" it. IMHO.... Q-Jets are Q-Junks. Yeah I have rebuilt them before and they were ok for a stock or mild performance engine. I much prefer a Holley or a Barry Grant.

Original Poster...As we have already determined.... Rebuild time, or cut your loses and buy a NEW carb. Either way, have fun with it.

P.S. Billy didnt say anything about fuel pump pressure!!! That was Bejay.

Billy

Old 10-05-03, 04:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Billy, take a chill, and reread the post.

Let's take it from the top.

1) This is a UNIVERSAL replacement Holley carburetor. Those are junk. Crap. Not worth a wooden nickel. Never were, never will be.

They are WAY too generic to work on anything of substance. The original carburetor which is either a CORRECTLY sized Holley or Carter (both were used) would be better if tuned. Bar none. All the time, every time, 100% of the time.

2) No one is advocating that a Rochester be used here. I used the Rochester example to illustrate that there is NOTHING wrong with the original carburetor. It has to be optimized.

One big mistake many folks make is to over fuel a car by putting a bigger carburetor on there. With a stock fuel pump how much actual fuel pressure and volume are you going to get to that big monster? Same amount.

Also, most high-po fuel pumps as advertised by Carter and others are advertised in free flow GPM which means squat in the real world. Too much fuel pressure will blow the needle and seat off a carburetor and cause flooding.

By the way from 1985 to 1989 Chrysler used a Q-jet to power a large majority of their trucks. Yes, that's right. And in 1971, they used a 2GV Rochester to power their 318 on some applications. Umm, Chrysler didn't make any of their own carburetion, they could barely scratch their ass with both of their hands in the 70's.

They also bought catalytic converters from GM in 1975 for three times the price GM paid because Chrysler couldn't meet federal requirements on their own.

3) Very much aware that Holley was OEM for many cars back in the day, including many GM vehicles. But it wasn't a "Universal" Holley like this one. It was a properly calibrated, engineered, sized and designed model for THIS vehicle.

World of difference here.

4) Holley doesn't make their own carburetor parts Billy. Been outsourced for a number of years. Shoot, they haven't done their own carburetor kit catalog for a number of years. I know you you know this fact now that I've told ya, right?

Bottom line: The Holley kit you've told this poster to get is nothing more than an outsourced aftermarket kit. He's wasting his money going to Holley.

5) Anyone that has refused to use a Q-jet usually doesn't understand them. My coworker runs a very modded 1974 Grand Prix which does some violent numbers in the 1/4 mile and it has a stock Q-jet on it from 1974 that has been tuned and tweaked. That's right, an OEM Quadrajet.

And it idles, it starts cold. It doesn't smoke, blow power valves, or have any Holley headaches. It is far superior to any Holley he could put there. Doug Roe, Nunzi Romano and the fact that a Q-jet outsold a Holley by large margins should tell you why they are better .

Known fact: Q-jet is the best overall.

6) I'll give the credit to BeJay then . Because I don't care what you have on the intake, if the fuel isn't getting there in the proper volume and pressure, it's all moot. Good point BeJay, I agree.

Original poster: Your choice. You'll be miles ahead with a tweaked and tuned SPECIFIC ORIGINAL OEM carburetor over any "one size fits all" Holley.

Old 10-05-03, 04:32 PM
Joe...... when was a 383 am OE GM product? I am however assuming here by the Original Posters SN that the hevicle in question is a GM product. Before you even start, dont try to tell me what a 383 is..... cause I DO KNOW!!!!! You are preaching about how someone who doesnt accept a Q-Jet doesnt understand em.... well the same arguement can be placed here on your OPINION of a Holley. The ORIGINAL POSTER obviously wanted to use a Holley, otherwise hw would have bought a Quadrajunk or other such piece. I never said anything about who makes what for whom. YOU DID. I dont really care who makes it as long as it works. I have built many many Holleys with fantastic results. I have built Quadrajets and DualJets and OLD Rochesters and FOMOCO's and various other carbs with positive results. And any carb you buy off the shelf regardless of name is universal if not purchased for the specific vehicle it was intended for by the consumer.

With that said, I DO AND DID know about Chryslers use of various makes of carbs in the 70's. I was a Parts junkie for Chrysler once and i know you knew that.
Billy

Old 10-05-03, 05:30 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Billy:

No where did I say that a 383 is a GM product. Please tell me where I stated that?

That era vehicle likely had an AFB Carter or some other Carter or Holley on it. But, that part # carburetor is SPECIFIC for that machine.

A #1234 Carter is DESIGNED for THAT 383, that emission combination, that vehicle, that performance, etc. The OEM and the carburetor company design them.

If Holley was the OEM for that 383 in that year (I'd have to check a Chrysler OEM parts book at work to see what they used, Carter or Holley, they used both), it was a SPECIFIC Holley unit. It wasn't a "Street Avenger"

Holley doesn't know or care what this goes on. Could go on GM, Ford, or Chrysler, or AMC. If the shoe fits, Holley will make you wear it. That's great if you want a slip on slipper and not a tailor made pair of shoes .

I don't know about you, but I don't want a square peg in a round hole for my vehicle. I'll take what was designed for it and improve on that. Works 100% better, all the time, every time, on time. Proven time and time again.

The original poster wanted to use a Holley but assumably, he got a "great deal" on this through Ebay. Fat chance of that. Anything over $50 is too much for that carburetor. You could probably spend that on the original carburetor that came with this and tweak it and it will be miles ahead of any "one size fits all" Holley.

The thing with Rochester is that they never had to advertise. They sold 5 million carburetors a year when carburetion was king. Every OEM bought a Rochester at one time or another.

1) Carter had to step in to make Q-jets under Rochester supervision. The carburetor was so popular that Rochester couldnt make them fast enough.

2) Ford used the Q-jet on a 1970-71 429 Cobra Jet engine, stamping #DO0F-A,B,E,F to be specific.

3) Chrysler used the Q-jet for a number of years.

4) AMC used Rochester carburetion (among other GM things) for some years too.

5) It has been proven that for overall streetability, a Q-jet wipes the floor with a Holley. Better throttle response, fuel economy, driveability, emissions and is just a good carburetor. No power valves to blow out like a Holley.

6) Most folks go with Holley because they fall victim to their advertising and do not understand a Rochester.

For the record, I am advocating that the original poster use his ORIGINAL carburetor on this 383 Chrysler and tweak that. Whether it's a Holley or Carter. If it was a 2 barrel, I would simply get a 4 barrel manifold and get whatever was right for that year.

Again, light years ahead of this Holley. I'd flip it on Ebay, double my money and put the RIGHT thing on there.

Most Holleys have you put adapters and other hokey changes to make their carburetor "fit" your application. I'll take what the engineer designed for my vehicle thank you.

Hope that sets the record straight.

Old 10-05-03, 06:23 PM
Question?

What make of vehicle is this? poster stated "383", is this a Mopar or a stroked Chevy 350 ?

Larry

Old 10-05-03, 08:40 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
why anybody would build up a mopar 383 is beyond comprehension

in the real world, people put a 400 crank into a 350 chevy block to make a 383(something like that)

i just e-mailed NASCAR, i told them to throw out every holley carb on every single winston cup, busch, arca and truck engine and start using some of the 5 million quadrajets laying in scrapyards across the nation, for some reason gary nelson didn't believe me when i told him they'd go faster with the 'right' carb for their 358 engines.

now onto NHRA, let's see....pro-stock, super stock, comp eliminator, stock, super gas, super comp, super street, plus the weekly bracket series at every track in america, there are about 600,000 holley carbs headed to the scrap metal pile. i guess the core value of a QJ is going up to $6 instead of the usual $5.

did i leave anybody out, IHRA mountain motors, ?????

Old 10-06-03, 04:44 AM
LOL Mike......... Very good point. And yes a GM 383 is a 350 block (bored .060... i think) with a turned down 400 crank.

And as I was saying...... The ORIGINAL POSTER didnt ask for your EXPERT opinion on which carb to install... he asked for help diagnosing his HOLLEY!!! That is what some of us are trying to do.

Seeing as the ORIGINAL POSTERS screen name is Vet101, it is a safe bet that he is talking about a GM product and i will say again there was NEVER a production 383 in ANY GM product. But you already knew that mister parts man. Get a grip... Holley is one of the simplest carbs on the planet and so easy to build. Hell I could do it with my eyes closed.
The point here is.... Just give someone the help they are asking for... not your opinion. EVERYONE here knows your opinion, and its getting OLD!!!
Billy

Old 10-06-03, 06:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'm not going to argue with you about what the original poster is asking for, because he/she has not furnished any details.

You're assuming and may be wrong.

NHRA, all that. Not a stock application. Totally different world. Different fuel. Different engines, parameters, requirements, everything is different.

Ya ain't building that for the street. Period. You keep harping that I am suggesting the original poster use a Q-jet. NO. I am saying to use what ORIGINALLY worked on this engine and let's go from there. And that carburetor ISN'T a generic Holley.

Mike: Big difference between a SPECIFIC Holley and a "one size fits all" Holley.

How could a universal one work well on EVERYTHING it fits? Newsflash: It doesn't.

Why would you overfuel an engine with a STOCK fuel pump? Will you get more fuel to the BIG carburetor with a stock pump? NO WAY.

The original poster is asking for advice on his carburetor and HIS carburetor may be the problem!
However, he has what he needs to make a decision.

We won't waste bandwidth with arguing here.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread