Can't open my hood

Old 10-04-03, 07:41 PM
Corky Bennett
Visiting Guest
Angry Can't open my hood

Help! I have a 1991 GMC Vandura van that the hood release
has broken. When I pull the release handel in the cab, nothing happens. Hoy can I open the hood? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-03, 07:54 PM
if the cable is broken near the handle you can just put some vice grips on the cable and pull it to release, short of that you would have to release it at the hood sometimes you can go through the grill area to release the latch using a screwdriver.

Old 10-05-03, 08:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Find the wire inside the cable sheath and pull on that with a Vice Grip while someone bangs on the hood.

Then replace the handle/cable.

Old 07-12-09, 03:28 PM
Thumbs up Couldn't open hood on Vandura? DONE!

This is how we did it (with a lot of help from God Himself to figure it out!) No one posted anywhere had the right answer. 1. Remove console piece over dog house...watch out while disconnecting the electrical wiring plugs to the cigarette lighter (easy) and the electric mirror (much harder-stick small screw driver in slot under plug with wires facing right; pull down little tab while on other side push wiggle pull tab at the same time). 2. Remove dog house. 3. FIND OUT THEN THAT YOU MUST TAKE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT OUT FIRST TO GET DOG HOUSE OUT! Have someone hold a ratchet with a large socket (#21 I think) underneath the van on the bolt (4 total) while someone with a ratchet turns the bolt under seat. 4. NOW take out dog house. 5. Take off air intake and air cleaner assembly. 6. Reach way in with flat screw driver and release latch while someone else uses a small crow bar to gently lift up on the hood. WA LA! YOU ARE IN! HALLELUJAH!!!

Old 07-12-09, 04:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I certainly hope that the original poster figured it out in the past 5.5 years. It would be an alternate term for a female dog to put in windshield washer fluid otherwise.

Old 07-13-09, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by LastPsalms View Post
This is how we did it (with a lot of help from God Himself to figure it out!) No one posted anywhere had the right answer. 1. Remove console piece over dog house...watch out while disconnecting the electrical wiring plugs to the cigarette lighter (easy) and the electric mirror (much harder-stick small screw driver in slot under plug with wires facing right; pull down little tab while on other side push wiggle pull tab at the same time). 2. Remove dog house. 3. FIND OUT THEN THAT YOU MUST TAKE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT OUT FIRST TO GET DOG HOUSE OUT! Have someone hold a ratchet with a large socket (#21 I think) underneath the van on the bolt (4 total) while someone with a ratchet turns the bolt under seat. 4. NOW take out dog house. 5. Take off air intake and air cleaner assembly. 6. Reach way in with flat screw driver and release latch while someone else uses a small crow bar to gently lift up on the hood. WA LA! YOU ARE IN! HALLELUJAH!!!
Oh my! All that? Glad you got it though.

But I wonder if say a vehicle had front end damage and was towed to the body shop, that a body shop guy has no simpler way to get inside of any vehicles hood?

I've often wondered what a person would do if the cable latch mechanism broke, say under the hood. How to get the hood open the easiest and without damage.

Old 07-13-09, 03:03 PM
That type of thing happened to my roommate with an 89 Cherokee. the cables seized up. Sure was fun (sarcasm) getting penetrating oil in there to free up the cables.

Search this Thread