Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1998 Windstar Transmission Problem

Visiting Guest

10-05-03, 02:38 PM   #1  
dnailman
1998 Windstar Transmission Problem

Recently when making a turn, the transmission in my Windstar slipped very badly. It continued to slip. When I checked the fluid, it was very low and the transmission was very hot. Transmission fluid had blown all over the back of the vehicle as we were driving. I replaced the fluid, aprox 5 quarts,the transmission is doing fine now. I cannot find any leaking fluid anywhere and cannot figure out why the fluid was low or why it was all over the back of the vehicle. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-05-03, 03:53 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Tough to say---the tranny in this vehicle isn't really known for being very good

Gunk down the vehicle's engine and tranny and see what happens. By Gunking it, you can remove all the dirt so you can see where the leak might be coming.

IL

10-08-03, 08:49 AM   #3  
Re: 1998 Windstar Transmission Problem

Originally posted by dnailman
Recently when making a turn, the transmission in my Windstar slipped very badly. It continued to slip. When I checked the fluid, it was very low and the transmission was very hot. Transmission fluid had blown all over the back of the vehicle as we were driving. I replaced the fluid, aprox 5 quarts,the transmission is doing fine now. I cannot find any leaking fluid anywhere and cannot figure out why the fluid was low or why it was all over the back of the vehicle. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
I used to have a 87 aerostar and i put some transmission sealer in it and that really seamed to help it .

Visiting Guest

10-08-03, 09:30 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Oooh boy. .

I'd advise against that stuff especially in newer electronically controlled trannies. The problem is elsewhere if you have to put sealer in it in my belief.

No tranny in a can .

Search this Thread