Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

shutter?

10-05-03, 06:31 PM   #1  
shutter?

'94 honda accord, 4 cyl. vtec, 130,000 miles, 5 speed.

ok, here's the probelm. if i'm driving on the highway, and hold a constant speed, the whole car starts to shutter and vibrate. as soon as i either accelarate, decelerate or take my foot off the gas completely it stops immediately. i went for a drive tonight and noticed that it did while accelerating as well, for the first time. so maybe this is getting worse.
i thought maybe it was a tank of bad gas, but i filled up again recently and still have the problem. i have a fuel filter to install, maybe that'll be the problem.

is there anything else i should check?

thanks,
mitch.

Sponsored Links

10-06-03, 05:27 AM   #2  
Your description lacks an important detail. Can you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or not. This would point the problem toward the tires and alignment, or away from that.

While your at it, what is the condition of all 4 tires? Balding, new, etc.

Balding tires will cause a noticable vibration at certain speeds, say above 50 mph, because as they wear they get extremely un-balanced.

10-06-03, 06:36 AM   #3  
the tires are realtively new. maybe a few months old, and i can't feel it in the steering wheel. more like a whole car shutter.

Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 06:46 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Start by rotating your tires front to back. See if the problem follows the tire rotation.

10-06-03, 05:01 PM   #5  
an update...

i noticed that it does it while parked. if you run the rpm's around 2000 and hold it just right, the car vibrates. thinking it might be ignition, i changed the plugs, wires, rotor and distributor. still have the problem...

could it be a fuel injector?

Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 05:36 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Doubt it. The Keihin injectors used in that year are fairly reliable. Expensive mistake if you are wrong (and likely you are---these don't tend to go bad).

Were OEM tuneup parts used? Some aftermarkets are poor quality and Honda has had some ignition system woes over the years and supersede part #s like water. Make sure you have the latest and greatest Honda OEM stuff on there for starters.

Change the fuel filter--but I suspect the problem is elsewhere.

Search this Thread