Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

misfire

Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 07:05 AM   #1  
jabari
misfire

A 1998 Toyota Camry 2.2L. The car is stalling and misfiring and the check engine light is on. I changed the Spark plugs and the plug wires. After the change the car was still stalling and misfiring. I also found oil on two of the spark plugs. I am going to put a scanner on it for the check engine light. The car has 193,000 miles on it with nothing changed out. I am thinking coil pack.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 07:12 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Whoa Nelley. Find the problem.

Oil on the spark plugs: Could be from valve cover O-rings if so equipped. That may cause some trouble. Rectify the oil leakage if any, and put it on a scanner. Tell us what you find.

Toyota ignition components are super reliable, I'd say it's secondary ignition (cap, rotor, wires) before any hard parts.

Visiting Guest

10-07-03, 08:46 AM   #3  
jabari
Joe,

It was the spark plug wires they were bad. Hooked Scanner up to it. The scanner read P301, P300. Misfire cylinder 1,
and Random misfire. Going to change the plug wires and spark plugs.

Visiting Guest

10-07-03, 08:48 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Now we're cooking a bit ! . That is the way to narrow it down.

A tune up never hurts, so start here. Good job thus far.

Visiting Guest

10-08-03, 07:05 AM   #5  
jabari
Here is the update. Brought a different set of wires and plugs. Put on scanner and scope cylinder 1 misfiring and random misfire code appears again. Pull out cylinder 1 wire the spark was jumping all the way to the top of the boot. Put electrical tape around the wire. Put back on scanner no misfire. To make a long story short put two sets of wires on both were bad and both were aftermarket Napa and Foreign auto parts. Going back with NGK Toyota Manufactured plug wires. Never seen a simple Plug and wire change so difficult. All the primary ignition components checked out good. Anybody got any other ideas?

Visiting Guest

10-08-03, 09:32 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Get the OEM Toyota wire set. Far superior on these applications. Better fit and quality.

Visiting Guest

10-08-03, 03:01 PM   #7  
matm347
I assume you checked cap and rotor??

Search this Thread