Hesitation/misfire

Old 10-06-03, 08:13 AM
eswhite
Visiting Guest
Hesitation/misfire

I have a 96 Blazer S10 that is hesitating/jerking around 1500 to 1800 RPM and only when you are driving at 45 to 50 miles an hour. I have replaced the air filter and the spark plugs and it seemed to help, but it is still there. The truck accelerates fine and idles fine. I was told it was misfiring in a cylinder at that speed and that is what was causing the jerk/hesitation. If so what needs to be done to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-03, 08:27 AM
SOUNDS LIKE A SECONDARY VOLTAGE LEAK TO GROUND. THIS WILL GIVE U A FISHBITE SENSATION WHEN AT A STEADY SPEED, MINIMUM TORQUE CONVERTOR LOCK UP SPEEDS.
PLUG WIRES, COIL AND COIL WIRE, CAP AND ROTOR NEED TO BE INSPECTED AND/OR REPLACED. ALSO, DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR AND USE AC/DELCO PARTS. AFTERMARKET WIRES ARE CHEAP JUNK AND WILL NOT SUFFICE.

Old 10-06-03, 09:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with the tuneup idea.

Actually AC Delco hasn't made a part in a number of years. They have farmed out virtually everything to outside companies including other aftermarket competitors they competed/still compete with directly in the aftermarket.

Buy a Delco thermostat---it's a Stant in most cases now.
Delco fuel cap? Stant.
Spark Plugs? Delphi. And they compete with them too.

BG: The Delco of yesteryear is not today's Delco anymore .

Old 10-06-03, 09:46 AM
JOE , THANKS FOR THE LECTURE.
AT LEAST IF IT SAYS AC /DELCO, THERE ARE SOME MINIMUM STANDARDS TO BUILD TO ...

Old 10-06-03, 09:52 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depends on whose standards they are.

I'm not knocking Delco parts, I do use them, but they have done a collosal job of farming out what was once pretty good.

Buy an RC27 radiator cap. It's made in India and looks NOTHING like the original part.

Buy a GT195 gas cap for any GM. It's a Stant part for double the price. And it's made to Stant's, not GM's standards.

Seems that Delco will take the low ball road based on price, the hell with the guy that wants the right part.

Old 10-07-03, 05:29 AM
NOT SURE WHERE U BUY YOUR PARTS JOE, BUT THE STUFF I GET OVER THE COUNTER AT THE DEALER SHIP LOOKS MIGHTY SIMILAR TO THE ONE I GOT IN MY HAND...
PERHAPS MORE ACCURATELY WHAT I MEANT WAS, GO TO THE DEALER FOR THE PARTS.....OEM!

Old 10-07-03, 06:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
AC Delco=GM of course as you know.

So, if I go to the Delco jobber and buy a Delco part for a GM application, I am getting the same part as if I go to your parts departement's counter.

If you can find an RC27 that looks like the original and is made where it should be, in this country, I'd like to find it. The one out there now is terrible looking.

I'd take a D6258A that acutally worked when I clicked it on and didn't let the wipers go full blast no matter what the speed selected.

3 for 3 if I could get a GM thermostat for my car that was actually made by Harrison and not a cheap Stant knock off .

Hit a home run and actually give me a 251-233 Delco water pump that wasn't a TRW in the box for $10 more than the TRW pump which is available at the parts store right away. (Have to order the Delco).

Perhaps, BG since you are seeing newer cars, you are seeing the same parts as what left the factory in your service parts.

Try buying "Genuine" for something old like my car. It can get ugly and it's getting worse. It's sad---and other companies are doing the same thing, not just GM .

Old 10-07-03, 08:16 AM
HMMMM, MUST NOT BE ENUFF OF A MARKET FOR PARTS FOR THEM OLD CLUNKERS!
LET'S FACE IT. IN THIS DAY AND AGE, WHY WOULD THE INDUSTRY KEEP MAKING OEM PARTS FOR TWENTY YEAR OLD VEHICLES, WHEN THEIR LIFE EXPECTANCY IS MUCH, MUCH LESS THAN THAT...

Old 10-07-03, 08:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Because there's money to be made on them. Up to the OEM whether they care or not.

AC Delco apparently does---they had launched an "All Makes, All Models" program a few years ago. They have picked up their coverage in non-GM applications. Some of it is nothing more than reboxed aftermarket stuff at double the price.

GM has a Restoration Parts catalog out there and it's big business, so I think they care otherwise, why do such an endeavor?

There are whole industries centered around restoration parts. Ames Performance Engineering exists for JUST Pontiac. Others do all car lines.

The market for Corvette parts is endless. People will pay just about anything to get real GM stuff. I just came across a blower switch for a 77-82 Vette the other day. It is the SAME part as a Chevette or T1000

Old 10-07-03, 11:10 AM
OF COURSE JOE, THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS, BUT FOR MAINSTREAM U.S.A., THEY'RE NOT LOOKING FOR OLD VETTE PARTS.
BETTER CHECK THE SOURCE ON THOSE VETTE PARTS TOO, THEY'RE NOT OEM. (GENERALLY SPEAKING,I'M SURE U WILL COME UP WITH EXCEPTIONS)

Old 10-07-03, 01:05 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
GM still keeps a lot of Vette stuff around, and whatever they drop is picked up by the various vendors out there. Mostly, the original vendors discontinue the stuff, GM says "low volume" and they do the same.

Many times there are aftermarket companies picking up the stuff or they buy up the tooling/prints from GM and ramp it up themselves.

I guess my point is if you offer the part, offer the right one, not a "good enough" part. We are going through this with the decal kits for the 10th Anniversary.

It's either 100% dead on like the original as advertised or it's "close", but you shouldn't advertise it as the former .

Search this Thread