99 Bravada all wheel drive shudder

Old 10-06-03, 09:15 AM
Smahler
Visiting Guest
99 Bravada all wheel drive shudder

I have a 99 bravada with approx 60,000 miles. Bought off lease at 39,000....from that time it has always shuddered quite a lot when turning sharply in parking lot, etc. as if front differential is partially locked all the time. This is my first (and last) auto all wheel drive, so I dont know how much is normal. VERY ANNOYING in parking lots especially.

Even in a straight line green light situation, slight shudder is transmitted through steering wheel indicating to me that those front wheels are recieving power - when they really shouldnt.

Please help! I understand that these units employ a viscous coupling in the center diff - could this be my source of problem? is it adjustable?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-03, 09:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
That bulletin might be worth visiting a GM dealer to read it and learn more:

99-04-21-005B SEP 02 Drivetrain - Transfer Case Shudder

Here are the rest of the bulletins that might be worthy of poking through and looking into:

http://alldata.com/TSB/44/994402GO.html

Old 10-06-03, 09:42 AM
AH YES WHAT NEED TO DO IS REPLACE THE TRANSFER CASE FLUID WITH WHAT IS CALLED AUTO-TRAC II. GM PART #12378508.
YOU'LL NEED TWO QUARTS. THERE IS A SLIP/STICK CONDITION GOING ON INSIDE THAT CLUTCH PACK.

Old 10-06-03, 10:04 AM
Smahler
Visiting Guest
how to replace transfer case fluid

Thanks for this huge tip - I am used to working on everything in my shop except for the cars.....so where is the drain/filler- can I do this myself or does it need a tech with special tools?

Old 10-06-03, 10:15 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I have to say that it's probably pretty easy. Sometimes, even the owner's manuals cover these operations. I know the one for my sister's 2002 Tahoe has a lot of good maintenance tips and DIY type repairs (the more common stuff).