Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Charging system for 1982 Toyota Pickup

Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 09:50 AM   #1  
liltrucker
Charging system for 1982 Toyota Pickup

Two weeks ago the charge light on my dash lit up. The voltmeter was reading about 11 and a half volts. Normally I would see the voltmeter reading about 13 volts. I have replaced the alternator,voltage regulator and installed a new batery. The charge light is still lit and the voltmeter still reads about 11 and and a half volts. I turn on the head lights and the voltmeter drops to about 11 volts even, turning off the lights the voltmeter returns to about 11 and a half. Did I get a bad alternator or regulator or is there some other little piece of equipment I am overlooking? The engine in the truck is a 22R 4 cyl. The truck is the 2 wheel drive model long bed.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 09:54 AM   #2  
Joe_F
There may be a fusible link in the charging system which is blown and you have overlooked.

Get a wiring diagram and look closely at the charging system, see if you missed something.

Also, many aftermarket off the shelf rebuilds are of poor quality, so that is a possibility too.

10-06-03, 01:09 PM   #3  
Seem to remember maybe a charge fuse in the dash fuse panel. I think these were the glass type fuses. The jap fuses had a habit of cracking, look good to the eye so check with a test light.

Larry

Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 01:14 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Or simply change the fuse for a whopping 50 cents . LOL.

Search this Thread