Poncho only runs with 40 deg initial timing

Old 10-06-03, 12:16 PM
cerino2000
Visiting Guest
Poncho only runs with 40 deg initial timing

Anybody have any ideas on this:

This is fresh pontiac 455. Has a custom ground cam apx 276 adv duration, 510 lift. Confident that the timing gears were put on right. At first fire up I dropped the distributor in place where i thought it should go (based on TDC and rotor location). Cranked it. Had to turn the distribuor one way try again and then another and it fired. Ran strong. Plenty of torque and power. Then went to check timing. It was like at 40 degrees initial!!! This is with the vaccum line off and plugged! Dropped it down to more like 12ish and it won't even run like that without you keeping your foot on the gas pedal. Can't even turn the idle screw up that high to keep it running. The light is on cylinder #1. Granted, i had to tear the top end back down to get the lifters out cause the brand new roller set was bad (figures) but i am trying to get prepped for when i go to fire it again after I get that all back together. Problem with the lifters is that you couldn't adjust the lash. They were frozen in the all the way up position against the snap ring. The motor was running with zero lash just no hydraulic compensation. Something is wrong with this picture and i just can't figure it out. It runs at apx 19 degrees initial but only if you put the vaccum line on it on top of that. Anybody ever had this problem before? What am i doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-03, 01:04 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Who made your "custom grind" cam? Also, is the distributor HEI, stock, something from something else, what components are we dealing with here?

Old 10-06-03, 01:44 PM
cerino2000
Visiting Guest
It is from comp cams. Distributor is an HEI from a 78 400. Motor is a 74 that originally had points based ignition. timing cover and dampner are stock to the 455.

Old 10-06-03, 01:57 PM
I would check to see if the damper has spun.Possible your timing mark is lying to you so to speak.

Old 10-06-03, 03:53 PM
cerino2000
Visiting Guest
The dampner is 22 degrees off !!! Can you believe that? How the hell does something like that happen!!! Unbelievable

Old 10-06-03, 04:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Broken, the wrong one, not from what you think it is.

Get a 400 damper and all associated parts so you are sure you are dealing with the right things here. I believe a 400 and 455 use the same stuff, but I'd need my parts book in front of me to verify.

Just easier to use the 400 stuff. I believe GM still services most of it.

Old 10-06-03, 04:16 PM
Could be all of that massive Power you have there... LOL. Toss the balancer and get a new one. I never rely on a timing tab when I am setting the timing on a HiPo engine. I go by ear..... Wel lets say I used to... since I only have one now, its not so easy anymore.
Billy

Old 10-06-03, 08:22 PM
cerino2000
Visiting Guest
Well, thanks for all the help. I took the one off of my original 400 and put it on there. Not sure if I should be mad or happy. When I got the old one off I took a good look at it and man or man was it hosed. When I first looked, I thought they were shaped differently. Well, they were, just not from the factory!. The old one was half off of it's base!! I couldn't believe it. I was mad at first but not as mad as I would have been had itruined my nice new motor. That explains why it sat so far in towards the block. Just can't believe it. I have never seen one go bad or spin for that matter. Mark that one for the experience books. Thanks guys.

Old 10-07-03, 04:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. It happens, good you caught it.

Old 10-09-03, 07:35 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Good to see you got it. I think I saw your post on the pontiac website also. Balancers do not go bad very often, but it does happen. Have fun with all that poncho power!

Search this Thread