Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

vibrating brakes

Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 02:34 PM   #1  
evansindy
vibrating brakes

Hi all. Question for whomever. What does it mean when your car shakes when you apply the brakes. Thanx, kat

Sponsored Links

WV

10-06-03, 03:13 PM   #2  
Basically it means you have a problem. Have you had any brake work done lately? What kind of car?
Billy

Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 04:12 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Usually warped rotors, but as stated, need more information.

Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 04:37 PM   #4  
evansindy
Thanks for answering. I have a Honda Accord, 1996 and did have brake work done about a couple months. This is sounding expensive.

WV

10-06-03, 04:46 PM   #5  
Not necessarily expensive. Rotors arent usually too bad for this car. Check with a reputable shop, hopefully one who will do a free brake inspection, and see if they can tell you if your rotors are the problem. If it can be done get them turned and see if this fixes your vibration. If they are close to the spec limit then just toss em and replace with good quality rotors and forget about it.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 05:10 PM   #6  
evansindy
how dangerous is the rotor thing? Do I have to run out tomorrow or can it wait a bit? Thanx again!

Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 05:30 PM   #7  
Joe_F
Brakes aren't anything to gamble with. Fix it ASAP.

TX

10-06-03, 06:11 PM   #8  
always torque

Rotors warp for a couple of reasons they overheat or too much torque on the lug nuts.You need to fix this ASAP as Joe said.and make sure you torque those lug nuts to Honda specs.

10-07-03, 05:21 AM   #9  
WARPED ROTORS AND/OR DRUMS ARE MORE OF AN ANNOYANCE THAN ANYTHING, IF THEY ARE NOT UNDER MINIMUM THICKNESS AND THERE IS SUFFICIENT FRICTION MATERIAL LEFT ON THE PADS, U CAN HOLD OFF BEFORE SPENDING MONEY ON THEM.
PROBLEM IS, TECHNICIANS LIKE TO FORGET THAT U CAN ONLY MACHINE A ROTOR TO A CERTAIN DIMENSION, AND WHEN THEY FALL BELOW THIS DIMENSION, THEY WARP QUICKLY AND CAN ALSO LEAD TO BRAKE FADE FROM GETTING TOO HOT TOO FAST.

WV

10-07-03, 05:29 PM   #10  
I always mic rotors before I cut them and if I dont have at least .020 above the machining minimum stated in the book then I dont cut them.
Billy

TX

10-07-03, 05:40 PM   #11  
Rotars

I don't know why shops want to turn rotors so bad when they are not warped.IMO all it does is take away the service life by making them thinner and more susceptible to heat warpage.
What I do is just scuff up the rotor with some emery cloth and throw on the new pads. The pads will seat into any small imperfections as they wear.

10-07-03, 09:05 PM   #12  
What kind of brake work did you have done? What did they do? Use good quality rotors for Hondas (japanese cars in general), don't use the $20 PepBoys special. I found that I have to spend at least $50 for each rotor on my Hondas and Toyotas to avoid pulsating brakes. The first time I used the "el cheapo" ones they warped after 2 weeks. I had one in my trunk for 1 week and it got warped.

Visiting Guest

10-07-03, 09:24 PM   #13  
Joe_F
I second the el cheapo statement.

Use only good quality US or Canadian made aftermarket or OEM Honda replacements. Avoid the offshore stuff---poor quality.

WV

10-08-03, 04:04 AM   #14  
I have found of late that the "cheaper" rotors are warped out of the box. Some have been no more than a couple thousandths and i have had some that were over .010 warped, and still some that arent warped at all. This has never been a problem until recently as far as I know. I always installed whatever rotors came with the brake job and it was gone and never came back. The theory is that the metal is inferior to USA metal and it warps due to stacking. I dont know, all I know is that I have been having to do double duty by turning new rotors prior to installation. I even had a OE Ford rotor last week that was installed by my helper and (this is the bosses van) he was complaining of noise from the brakes. I removed the rotors and checked them and the Ford rotor was slightly warped, but worse than the Raybestos rotor that was on the other side. Both were installed new out of the box at the same time. Go Figure!!
Billy

Visiting Guest

10-08-03, 09:41 AM   #15  
Joe_F
I think some of these things see some rough handling in the parts plants and warehouses.

I put a set of these cheapies on my 84 Olds 88 some time ago. They were so bad the pedal kicked back at you. I sent them back, put USA made Raybestos and they have been fine ever since.

Search this Thread