1997 Caravan Water pump

Old 10-07-03, 11:29 AM
skim35
Visiting Guest
1997 Caravan Water pump

1887 Dodge Caravan V6 3.0L engine
After careful consideration, I decided that changing timing belt + belt job is over my head.

I out-source the task to my family machanic. He was able to change the belt, but he said he could not take out the water pump. He said there is a nasty screw holding the pump, and could not take it out. Does any one know what he is talking about?

I am thinking about getting in there myself & giving it a shot. Do you ahve any advice as how to remove this screw?

Please be specific, I have not even seen this screw.

thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-03, 01:11 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have a look at autolibrary.org. Print out the procedure and show him.

Is he stating the screw is stuck, inaccessible, or what????

Old 10-07-03, 01:20 PM
skim35
Visiting Guest
I think the screw (located on the back of the pump) is stuck, he tried impact wrench, heating, apraying with Wd40,... cannot take it out.

Old 10-07-03, 02:09 PM
He could use an impact driver(not impact gun)to remove it or drill it out.The screw doesn't need to be there just makes the pump easier to install.Too bad if the vehicle has been put together cause it will have to come back apart.

Old 10-08-03, 12:28 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
the only screws on the back of the pump are what's holding the assembly together. why save $20 dollars, just have him buy the pump from a dealer and you will get a water pump 'assembly' it comes with all those screws as NEW. most aftermarket pumps come as just the pump and bearings part, it won't be as reliable a repair.

if he's talking about the 12mm bolt on top of the pump, partially hidden by the intake manifold, tell him he needs to bend that bracket up to get the pump out.

let us know

Old 10-08-03, 08:21 AM
skim35
Visiting Guest
Thank you

Search this Thread