gasket for transmission pan

Old 10-07-03, 11:50 AM
gasket for transmission pan

i am right in the middle of doing my transmission filter change and the gasket i got with the kit is cork and probably going to be pretty hard to control. the gasket i took off is sort of a rubber or neoprene or etc but is in emtremely good shape should it be reused or put the cork one on last time i did this job on my sons car i put the cork one on. im wondering if this gasket is made to be reused.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-03, 12:24 PM
its quite possible it is re usable, what vehicle are we talking about?

Old 10-07-03, 01:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Throw out the gasket, put a new one. Get a quality Felpro gasket.

Who wants to risk doing a job twice for a $5.00 gasket? Yes, some OEM gaskets are reusable, but you wouldn't reuse a dirty oil filter, would ya? .

Some tranny pans DO NOT use a gasket, and use RTV as the gasket. Check with a dealer as to what they use. What type of vehicle?

Old 10-08-03, 05:20 AM
couldn't disagree more...
most hydramatic pan gaskets are intended to be reusable, and are often mistakenly replaced with cheap after market gaskets,and does a major dis-service to the motoring public.
there would be a need to know if this gasket is intended to be reusable before giving such ill advise...

Old 10-08-03, 07:08 AM
I just learned something new. (Never too old) I didn't know one could reuse a tranny gasket. Interesting. How does one know if it can be reused? Would that be mentioned in a chiltons manual or is that something just the dealers would know?

Old 10-08-03, 07:15 AM
well, I guess the way I know is because it specifies it in the gm service manuals. I don't know about the chiltons. the re-usable gaskets are thick, i never measured one, maybe1/8 to 3/16 i nches thick, have steel inserts around the bolt holes, and a nice rubber strip the runs the length of the gasket. They're like 30 bucks to replace, so don't throw them out. I have never seen one leak, and it really fry's my butt when I see somebody has discarded one to replace it with an aftermarket gasket

Old 10-08-03, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the tip, and especially for the gasket description!

Gaskets and pans and gaskets have sure come along way since the 60's when cheap stamped steel covers and gaskets would leak a week after you changed them. Remember the oil stained garages, shops, driveways and parking lots of yesteryear. Now you can eat off the clean floor of a new car dealer repair garage. I'll never forget buying my first non-leaking autombile, it was either the 81 Toy Tercel or the 87 Taurus Wagon. My driveway was SO CLEAN!!!

Old 10-08-03, 08:35 AM
transmission gasket

Originally posted by bigguy05641
its quite possible it is re usable, what vehicle are we talking about?
the parts man found out that tf212was the kit number it took. it was actually made for like a 95 or so model but was used as a useup for when this van was built as near as we can figure. anyway i did use the new cork gasket but i kept the other one .my van was made in canada in 5-97

Old 10-08-03, 09:04 AM
STILL NOT SURE WHAT U HAVE FOR A VEHICLE....

Old 10-08-03, 09:06 AM
HEY LUGNUT, YOU'RE NOT KIDDING! GASKETS NOWADAYS ARE EXTREMELY USER FRIENDLY! NO MORE CORK AND LESS AND LESS RTV(SILICONE).

Old 10-08-03, 09:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
BG:

How do you determine if it's been overtorqued or should be replaced?

(I'm asking this as a devil's advocate question). BTW: GM isn't making that gasket. Likely Armstrong or someone else who is supplying Felpro too .

I've NEVER had a problem with a Felpro gasket.

Old 10-08-03, 10:33 AM
THESE THINGS ARE VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE, THE BOLT WOULD BREAK BEFORE THE GASKET GOT RUINED.AND, IF I GET MY PARTS AT A DEALERSHIP COUNTER, I DON'T HAVE TO RESEARCH WHO THE SUPPLIER IS......AND CLUTTERING MY MIND WITH USELESS INFORMATION.

Old 10-08-03, 11:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Then don't read it . Fact is that GM will eventually farm this out to someone like Felpro as is custom at many OEMs after it's been around a while.

Will your average Joe use a dealer gasket? Nope. Not when your parts department closes at 12 on a Saturday (if they are even open).

I like to know everything about the parts I buy. In that fashion, I know not to overpay GM for Durastop brake parts which are just reboxed Raybestos at double the price.

When you are the customer paying double the price, damn straight you care. If you're just installing what the parts man hands you, no mind for you.

Old 10-08-03, 12:38 PM
mmm yes i wouldn't go to a dealer for durastops either.
Matter of fact, I don't use durastops at all, too many undesireable side effects. Durastops are not OEM.

Old 10-08-03, 12:47 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Durastops are cataloged in the GM EDS Parts Imager and carry a valid GM # as well as a Delco short #.

In turn, they are OES and they are prescribed for cars coming through the dealership depending on criteria.

So the dealers are actually selling aftermarket parts .

My point is that you don't always get "TRUE" OEM from a dealer anymore. The supplier base making a lot of this stuff has shrunk to a few big players.

Old 10-08-03, 02:04 PM
GET SOME BRAKE PADS LOOKED UP FOR A GM VEHICLE AND U MIGHT HAVE TWO CHOICES, OEM OR DURASTOPS(WHICH WE STOPPED USING, TOO MANY ILL SIDE EFFECTS,THEY ALSO DON'T COME WITH ALL THE NECESSARY HARDWARE TO DO THE JOB PROPERLY).
YES IT IS STOOPING TO THE LEVEL OFFERED BY AFTERMARKET, PROBABLY DUE TO THE MARKET DEMAND TO OFFER CHEAP PARTS, BECAUSE THE PUBLIC HAS BEEN DUPED INTO BELIEVING THEY ARE BUYING THE SAME QUALITY FOR LESS.
AND IT IS A SHAME....BECAUSE IT MAKES LIFE HARDER FOR US WHO'S GOAL IT IS TO DO THE BEST WORK POSSIBLE.

Old 10-08-03, 10:37 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
lugnut and all interested---chrysler has a similiar gasket on all it's rear wheel drive vehicles too. it has steel reinforcements around the bolt holes, with the rest being 1/8inch thick plastic with two rubber o-rings that go around the perimeter of the pan. it is very reusable, i've never even seen one weep---completely dry. and like big guy said, you will pull the threads out of the case before you will crush the gasket(ask me how i know)

Old 10-09-03, 07:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I've used Raybestos in all my vehicles (including one I use 45 miles a day) and there's no problem.

My only point is that you can't always knock aftermarket parts, or state OEM is better all the time. Sometimes they are IDENTICAL .

GE wanted to charge me $98 for a cold control for my mother's old fridge. I got one from Gemline for $45 in stock at the local appliance parts place.

Pull it out of the box, walah, same part with GE's logo on it. Half the price .

Old 10-09-03, 09:31 AM
AFTERMARKET COMPANIES GO TO GREAT LENGTHS TO MAKE THEIR STUFF LOOK LIKE OEM.
AND I WASN'T KNOCKING AFTERMARKET STUFF, ALL I SAID WAS DON'T THROW AWAY A GASKET THAT IS MEANT TO BE RE-USABLE, WITH A CHEAP AFTERMARKET ONE. THEN I LET U SUCK ME IN TO THIS DISCOURSE.
HECK I GOT AFTERMARKET SHOCKS AND EXHAUST ON MY CHEVY TRUCK. BEARINGS AND ENGINE PARTS ARE FINE AS WELL.
BUT THERE IS SOME STUFF AFTERMARKET THAT I WILL ADAMANTLY STAY AWAY FROM. PLUG WIRES AND BRAKE PADS ARE SOME. ALSO ANYTHING ELECTRICAL, MODULES, EMISSION COMPONENTS, ETC.

Old 10-09-03, 09:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I can agree. Depends on the part though. Can't tar all parts with the same brush.

That was my point.

Also, it is disheartening when Delco and other OEMs say, "It's the right part, fits right, looks right, is right!!" and then you get a plastic GT195 for your metal original

That happens more and more on the old stuff.

Old 10-09-03, 04:05 PM
Mike...... those Chrysler tranny gaskets are the shiznay..... We started stocking them just before the dealership closed (January of this year). They were coming out with more and more of em too. We got mail from DCA to discontinue using the RTV and use the new gaskets. I think they were planning to make em for the 41TE and similar pan configurations.

For you Chrysler RWD owners most of these gaskets sell for less than $20.00 and according to DCA can be reused as much as 3 times before the rubber o-ring is compromised. I think they are an ingenious invention. I have seen many of them on the Grand-Am's and the like as well. Havent seen anything like this on a Ford yet. Time will tell.
Billy

Old 10-11-03, 07:24 AM
transmission gasket

Originally posted by bigguy05641
STILL NOT SURE WHAT U HAVE FOR A VEHICLE....
I have a 98 ford windstar with a 3.8 v-6 eighth digit in vin is a 4

Old 10-11-03, 01:32 PM
frank2009
Visiting Guest
like joe said, felpro gaskets are good. i've also found the gaskets that come with the NAPA trans filter kits are good too.

Old 10-12-03, 01:58 PM
That is because NAPA filters are reboxed Wix filters and the gasket is a Felpro gasket
Billy

Old 10-12-03, 04:42 PM
Ahhh, I say screw gaskets and use RTV.

But the reusable plastic one with metal grommets sounds nice!

I've never leaked a drop using just plain ol' RTV though.

Old 10-12-03, 05:39 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. True. Also, there was an oil filter study done by a guy a few years ago, and it was quite good. Talked about the various filters out there and who actually made what filter for who .