I have a 89 jeep cherokee with a loose tilt steering wheel,
which sometimes makes it hard to start and cause's other
problems.
Is there any way to tighten up the tilt wheel
without getting a second loan on my house

Old 10-12-03, 05:48 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Essentially, this vehicle has a GM steering column in it...

This is a little bit of a magilla of a job. A good part of the column has to come apart to access the lower tilt bowl screws and you need a pretty long extension to get down in there to tighten things.

A shop familiar witht this work won't charge much for it. It's IMPERATIVE that you put the column back the way it came apart. This can be a little daunting at times if you have not done it before.

Old 10-12-03, 05:51 PM
southernwodwkr
Visiting Guest
I am a service manager at a local goodyear. We normally only charge 1 hr to tighten the bolts in a sterring column. I would suggest taking it to your local automotive shop and let them do it.
If you have never taken a column apart,it may get confusing on how the pieces go back together. also if you over tighten the bolts, it can be damaging to the tilt mechanism. GOOD LUCK

Old 10-12-03, 06:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A second loan on the house? To better understand the anwer, we must look our history. It all began at the turn of the second century past, when the slick talking marketing rep convinced the farmer to buy this new fangled tractor, along with a lifetime of 'low' payments, and to sell all his outdated horses and mules. When the cost of the tractor began to compete with the worth of his farm and earnings, well,,, it was too late. We have inhereited the payment plan from our forefathers.

Now please excuse me while I look for my dictionary to look up the word 'magilla'.

Old 10-13-03, 10:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
If you decide you want to do this yourself, a repair manual would be the best bet to make sure you get it right. You have to remove the steering wheel, lock plate, and turn signal switch. I think you'll be able to access the tilt screws from this point. I believe they are torx head screws. Autozone should rent you the tools to do this for free. You'll need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate removal tool. If you aren't sure of your skills, better let a shop do it for you. It should be less than $100.00.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: