Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

airbag light and horn

Visiting Guest

10-07-03, 11:04 PM   #1  
cybane
airbag light and horn

Hello! I have a 99 dodge grandcaravan and we just had an aftermarket keyless entry system installed, and the next day the horn would only work intermittently and the day after that quit all together and the airbag light came on and has stayed on, I have read a few posts about this similar question, is the verdict still clock spring? anyway to test? Am mechanically inclined and have chilton book, would this still be a non DIY work?

thanks for your help and reply!
Mike

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-08-03, 01:53 AM   #2  
mike from nj
call the dealer with your vin number, you most likely have a recall for the clockspring.

if not, post back, it's a very DIY job

Visiting Guest

10-08-03, 06:33 AM   #3  
cybane
warranty

gave local dealer last nine of vin# and its not under warranty although they do have, Minivan Recall B24, Clockspring / Warranty Extension on vehicles produced 1996-1998. mine is 1999 of course...they want 165.00 to change it. Looked at chilton and it does not seem bad, just need wheel puller and i have access to that..anyone ever done it? manual says to disconnect negative battery cable for 5 minutes to be safe, and to be very careful with airbag, to hold away from body etc. Sound right?

Visiting Guest

10-08-03, 09:33 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Sounds "right", but make sure you effectively disarm the airbag so you don't cause damage.

Visiting Guest

10-08-03, 10:26 PM   #5  
mike from nj
sounds like you did your homework, knowing what to do is half the battle.

disconnect and isolate the negative battery terminal for at least 2 minutes, 5 is better. 3 bolts from behind and the airbag comes off, just lay it face up on the passenger seat. 2 or 3 phillips screws on the steering column covers and the clockspring snaps off.

remember to
- specify to the parts dept if you have cruise control, tilt column or audio controls on the wheel.
- straighten the front wheels before you take anything apart
- use common sense when you handle the 'armed bomb', keep the back side away from you at all times, it is rumored that a static shock can set one off--keep your fingers away from the terminals, and never, ever try to 'ohm' the airbag.
- the cruise control switch wires will 'lay' to where they should go, however, it makes no difference which side gets hooked up to where, it is a multiplexed circuit.

the air bag light will go off as soon as it senses all circuits are operational, meaning if the light is still on, it wasn't the clockspring. (there is no 'resetting' the light)

let us know how it went

WV

10-10-03, 07:42 PM   #6  
I agree that the clockspring is likely the culprit, but I would also like to add that the installation of the aftermarket alarm system could have triggered the light. The proper way to effectively complete this repair is to get the system scanned for codes. Then and only then will you know 100% FOR SURE what the problem, and subsequently correct repair procedure is.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Visiting Guest

10-11-03, 06:14 AM   #7  
cybane
In the last few days the cruise quit working also.. I will try today or monday depending on avalibility of parts

10-11-03, 05:59 PM   #8  
You mean the steering wheel doesn't need to be removed to change the clockspring?

WOOHOO!!

I've been putting off replacing the clockspring in my '94 Caravan because I thought the wheel had to come off.

Does the '94 model year get included in the recall?

Visiting Guest

10-11-03, 06:31 PM   #9  
Joe_F
Jason:

My recollection is the clockspring is in the vicinity of the airbag and the system must be disarmed properly to service it. Often this is why the cruise and horns go out on these Chryslers.

Call the dealer, give your vin# and see if your van is affected.

10-11-03, 08:33 PM   #10  
Thanks Joe. I'll do that.

Visiting Guest

10-11-03, 08:46 PM   #11  
mike from nj
sorry jason R, when i typed that reply originally, i accidentally hit the wrong key combination somehow and it deleted the entire text. in my haste to retype it(and that late at night), that's the one step i left out, i guess that's why everyone should be reading autolibrary.org.

the clockspring is directly under the steering wheel, one 13/16 nut, a puller tool to remove the wheel and it's right there for your removal, that's why i said to make sure the front wheels were straight before starting.

you should not be throwing parts at your car hoping something might fix it, your model year van is completely different than the 96-2000 model years and those clocksprings rarely went bad. you do have an airbag related recall, but it's for something completely different(hint: does your rear wiper work?) that's part of the recall too.

call any dealer with your vin number and see what's still open for your particular van.

Visiting Guest

10-12-03, 04:34 PM   #12  
cybane
Hello everyone...I was successful in changing the clockspring yesterday with no problems. Was a little nervous removing, and Installing air bag but every thing went smooth. Took about 2 hrs to complete, I was probably slow but I was just being careful! I purchased clockspirng at wholesale from local dealer for $66. I Just wanted to say thank you to everyone and let you know how it went.. Thanks,Mike

10-12-03, 04:46 PM   #13  
Thank you mike.

Yes, my rear wiper blows the airbag fuse once in a while... I've learned to not use the wiper. I should call the dealer about that if it's a recall issue. I do miss my rear wiper.

I suspect my clockspring because only my cruise control doesn't work. I replaced the brake light switch less than 2 years ago, so I don't think it's that. (Which is exactly why it probably IS that)

I've asked around about having my cruise not work (IT even pulls a trouble code for the cruise control). I've been told it's probably my clockspring. But I haven't felt like diving into my steering column that far as of yet.

Visiting Guest

10-12-03, 05:37 PM   #14  
Joe_F
Original poster:

Glad it's fixed.

Visiting Guest

10-13-03, 11:18 PM   #15  
mike from nj
Original poster:

Glad it's fixed.

(i do get nervous too)

jason, make sure you leave a blown out fuse in there if you need to have the recall done, you should get a free wiper motor as per the recall, it might also fix the cruise problem too. it's worth a try---it would be free(if the recall hasn't been done yet) if you play your cards right, you could even get a free clockspring.

Search this Thread