Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Oil Leak In '99 Dodge Caravan

10-08-03, 06:52 AM   #1  
Oil Leak In '99 Dodge Caravan

This leak started rather suddenly following an oil change a few weeks ago. I never had any leaks in this vehicle before.

The engine is the 3.3L V6 FFL. The residue of the leak is visible on the passenger side under the engine belts & pulleys. Because of various obstructions (belt covers, etc.), I can't see where it's coming from. Regardless, it looks like it is from the belt end of the engine.

Are there any Dodge guys out there that can help to identify the possible cause? Engine seals or other source? Your help would be appreciated.

Best regards, Dick

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-08-03, 09:22 AM   #2  
Doug66
hi there. i have a '95 3.1 v6 grand am. i also have oil leak(s). i just cleaned my belt becuase of it. it sounds like it may be coming from your lower intake. although, it could be coming from anywhere. if it is a lower leak it could be the side of oil pan gasket. i would drive it up on ramps and remove any dirt shields and look around all over 'cause it could be actually coming from the otherside. also, you can place a peice of large clean cardboard under your car to help determine where the leak might be coming from. hope this helps. p.s. are you sure it's oil? it could be power steering fluid or even coolant. doug

Visiting Guest

10-08-03, 09:25 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree. The belts could be blowing it around. Could be spilled oil, a loose filter, a bad filter, I've seen it all.

10-08-03, 03:04 PM   #4  
Thanks for the reply Doug66 & Joe F.

Cardboard on the floor shows the oil is dripping on the passenger side. It looks like oil, not transmission fluid or coolant. I even checked the oil & found it was down about 1/2 quart.

Also checked the belts & they're clean - no sign of oil on them or the pulleys.

Although I realize that a more accurate diagnosis is required, but assuming the worst case - what's the most it might cost to have this repaired by good mechanics?

Best regards

Visiting Guest

10-08-03, 08:18 PM   #5  
Doug66
actually, it sounds like you have already diagnosed the problem 2/3 of the way. the lower passenger side-correct? you can probably pinpoint where the leak is by thouroghly cleaning the area or by finding where the freshes and wettest oil is on the engine. you could remove the right tire and whatever dirt sheilds there are in the vicinity-no special light required, just a flashlight. as for cost to repair i couldn't tell you. sorry. doug

Visiting Guest

10-08-03, 11:38 PM   #6  
mike from nj
i would say, whatever someone had their hands on--is the problem.

you need to look closely at the oil filter while it's running. cheap filters can split and spray oil, or at least drip. also if they put it on with pliers(very possible) they could have put a pin hole in the filter. they could have left part of the old gasket on the block and be providing a passege for the leak.

drain plug could be loose or stripped or not an original type, rubber plugs can leak very bad.

the guy could have been overanxious filling the engine and spilled half a quart down the side of the block.

he could have left the oil fill cap missing, this will make a huge mess underhood.

this should cost you nothing, because you're going back (for the last time)to the lube shop that did this. say to them, i paid for an oil change, not oil leaks, something is leaking ever since i came here. they should fix the problem quickly for you.

let us know how it goes

10-09-03, 05:08 PM   #7  
For those following this thread, the leak has been fixed by installing a new Front Crank Seal. The cost was $98 "out the door" by my good & trusted mechanic.

However, I'll leave the cardboard on the garage floor for awhile longer to double check that it's sealed up good.

Visiting Guest

10-10-03, 07:47 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Glad to hear it's fixed.

Search this Thread