91 accord

Old 10-09-03, 08:56 AM
donalhonda
Visiting Guest
Question 91 accord

I have a 91 accord wagon and want to change the valve cover gasket. Do I need to apply gasket adhesive ? Any other special things to look for? Don't have a torque wrench. Is that a problem ? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-03, 09:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
From what I remember, it's pretty easy.

When you hit the parts store for your Felpro gasket, have the counterman advise you of any RTV that may be required. Usually the Felpro book states what they want (if anything).

Old 10-09-03, 11:56 AM
skim35
Visiting Guest
Yep, use some type of liquid gasket as cheap insurance.

Use cheap $20 torque wrench, torque value is not too important as long as you do not over torque. but the bolts need to be torqued at same/close value.

Old 10-09-03, 05:01 PM
What engine? Most Honda valve covers I have done the nut bottoms out when it is tight enough. Also there is no need for and sealant, although I do put a little RTV where the gasket turns to go over the cam bearing caps.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 10-10-03, 07:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Billy:

I believe only the 2.2 4 cylinder was used this year.

Old 10-10-03, 06:21 PM
Your point is??? That is not relevant and I wasnt asking YOU!

Old 10-10-03, 08:53 PM
I have found that you can buy an original Honda gasket from the dealer for about the same or less money than after market valve cover gaskets. I do not think you can beat the factory gasket for quality.

You will be fine without sealer. Just make sure all gasket surfaces are clean. Billy is right. Honda valve cover fasteners will bottom out to keep from over tightening. They do have a torque spec but if you tighten untill the fastener bottoms out and gets tight and quit, you will be fine.

Old 10-10-03, 09:01 PM
Factory manual says 7 ft. lbs. (84 in. lbs.) and no sealer.

Old 10-11-03, 07:29 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Billy:

Crack it down a notch, buddy.

Honda Accords of this vintage ONLY had one engine displacement, a 2.2. I don't think the valve cover gasket replacement differs on ANY of them.

The prior generation, 86-89 was a 2.0 carb or FI motor depening on model. Honda didn't have a V6 option in the Accord till '95.

No need to jump up and down. The poster doesn't need to know his engine size, because there IS only one displacement choice in this vehicle.

So, whether you're asking it or not, the point is made for clarity's sake.

Enough said.