do-it-myself side mirror replacement

Old 10-10-03, 03:02 PM
lymrick
Visiting Guest
do-it-myself side mirror replacement

I just busted the driver's side mirror on my '88 Civic Hatchback. It's manually adjusted, so no wiring to deal with, but I can't figure out how to take the old mirror off so that I can replace it! Any instruction would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-03, 03:20 PM
I have no business replying to foreign car posts. Having said that, , do you want to remove the plate mirror and back board, or the complete mirror housing assembly?

Don't answer that. Doesn't matter to me anyway cause all I can suggest is to remove the interior door panel and look for hidden screws that attach the housing to the door.

Better yet, buy a replacement glass at the auto parts store and glue it back into place.

Old 10-10-03, 07:15 PM
Lugnut... You crack me up dude.

There is possibly a trim panel on the inside of the door exactly opposite of the mirror. Pop this off and youre screws for the mirror should be there.
Billy

Old 10-10-03, 07:30 PM
Thanks Billy! At the same time, I gotta tell ya that I am jealous of your blasting warrior icon. I love seeing that little guy laying down the fire power

Old 10-10-03, 07:44 PM
Well 12 years in the Army shootin the big guns I felt it was a proper fit Also kinda signifies my desires to perform that act sometimes
Billy

Old 10-11-03, 07:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
As LN mentioned, any parts store should have the glass. HELP/Motormite offers it on the red rack in the stores.

Old 10-12-03, 10:01 AM
BA-35
Visiting Guest
Lymrick, I just replaced the driver's side mirror on my 97 accord with help from this site. These guys rock.

I wanted to put in my two cents on replacement parts. Like I said, I replaced my mirror recently. I had to replace the whole assembly, not just the glass. The dealer wanted $250 for the part, and local body shops were quoting about $150-$175. I found a new part on the internet for about $50. Being the cheapskate that I am, I went with the $50 mirror.

I got the mirror and the fit and look were great. I put it in with no problems. The only bad thing is when I'm driving fast (60mph on the interstate), the cheap mirror wabbles a little. Not bad--I can still see fine, but it's a little annoying.

This is not a knock on the cheap part. I'd do it all over again. Just something to think about.

PS if you do get the cheap mirror, be sure to save all the foam padding from the original. It can be reused and is a great improvement over what came with the cheapy part.