Flood water has me drowned out

Old 10-11-03, 10:53 AM
Kasper
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Flood water has me drowned out

My '99 Grand Am went through some high water, and died. The water went over the front end only briefly. When I turn the key, all I get is a click. After a day of drying out, still nothing. The gauges and bells and signals act funny from time to time. So, what do you think? Starter? Wet electronics? Anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-03, 11:04 AM
Hydralock......water went into the intake and into the cylinders. Could have bent connecting rods? Just takes a split second for this to happen.

Engines compress air not water. Also sounds like you have electrical gremlins due to the water.

Maybe time to call the insurance co if you have coverage.

Larry

Old 10-11-03, 02:05 PM
Hydro lock

Yes good chance of hydrolock check your oil for water.Also pull plugs and try to crank.I hydrolocked a 77 Datsun and did not follow my advice I just gave you and tried to have a friend push start me with his car.
Result was bent rods and scrap engine.You might be able to salvage yours if you get the water out and change the oil a time or two.This is the worse case.You might just have electrical problems.
But check for water inside engine and dont push start it watever you do.

Old 10-11-03, 02:08 PM
also check air cleaner

Also check air cleaner see if it is wet this will indicate water went into engine.

Old 10-11-03, 06:48 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Sounds finished to me. Hate to say, but the car is likely scrap at this point. Both because the engine maybe finished and water has pervaded the electrical system.

Water and electricity don't mix, so that is why you have all the gremlins here. NEVER go through water higher than the bottom sill of the door as you can suck up water into the engine.