Eureka !!!

Old 10-11-03, 10:21 PM
janetlee
Visiting Guest
Eureka !!!

I did it, Joe !!!! I've bought a 1987 Merc. Gr. Marquis !
It is very nice and has less than 136,000 miles on it ! For real !!!
It runs great (especially when I've only paid $800 for it). However, the gas gauge has just stopped showing how much gas is in the tank. Whaddya think the problem is ? Do you think it'll be an expensive repair ?
Thanks !!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-03, 12:15 AM
iKwak
Visiting Guest
Eureka~!
It will be a very expensive ride indeed.

Old 10-12-03, 06:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
IK:

How so? Kindly elaborate for the group.

Janet:

The problem is either the sender in the tank, a ground wire issue or a gauge. Likely a ground problem first, sender second, dash gauge last.

Old 10-12-03, 06:50 AM
Actually it doesn't need to be fixed. For an $800 car the "fix" is as easy as filling the tank and TAKING CAREFUL NOTE OF THE ODOMETER. This is even easier with a trip taker feature on the odometer. It should only take a few weeks of driving on your normal daily trips to figure out your mileage, should be mid teens if lots of in-town. For the first tank refill it at 200 miles, if it takes more than 15 you might do the next one at 180 miles. I don't like to let my tank get below 1/4 full.
Heck, many european cars didn't have gas gauges until the mid-1960's, I don't think the VW beetle had them on the ones that stayed in Germany until about 1969.