Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

tire questions

MA

10-12-03, 08:23 AM   #1  
tire questions

i went to buy some new tires for a 2001, toyota camry le (4cyl.).

tire size on car is p205/65/r15,or such.
tire store said they wouldn't sell and mount the tires i had picked out as replacements. they said i had to "up-grade" to a better tire irregardless of tire size,manufacture,etc.
tire salesman mumbled something about having to go to a higher "speed-rated" tire. big money difference,also said new tires must be mounted on rear with a front wheel drive car if i bought and mounted just two.
i thought i knew most of the "do's" and "don'ts of tire buying,
but these two are new ones to me.
did not buy anthing till i could check this out with you folks.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-12-03, 08:39 AM   #2  
mike from nj
if you open the driver's door, there should be a sticker stating the only size tire you should be using, nothing more, and definitely nothing less. this is also the tire inflation spec you should be using(on that same sticker) and not the spec stamped onto the tire

i guess business is a little slow in that tire store, nothing like a little bullying around to make some money(or trying to)

10-12-03, 08:53 AM   #3  
Her goes the tire war:

First you are only required to replace the tires with a minimum that the car maker specifies as far as speed rating. You could go higher but with that their are trade offs. Increase $, faster wear and performance gain that you won't realize.

As far as size you should stick with what the car maker calls for, also air pressure. Todays computerized vehicles are designed for a certain size tire. The suspension geometry is designed for a certain size and speed rating. Nothing will be gained by changing these values. You will only hurt performance.

Two tires vs four and where to put them. I like approx 5k rotates and wear all the tires evenly. Replace all four at the same time. You will always have a match set as far as wear, thread design and performance. Having all four has got to be better than new or different brands front and back.

Larry

WV

10-12-03, 02:28 PM   #4  
First thing first. If they refuse to do what you, the consumer, requests then move on. They obviously dont want your business bad enough. As Mike and Larry said the correct size tire for your car is always the best bet. Alot more people are putting these low profile tires and big wheels on their cars and do not understand the problems that it causes. Sure they look nice, as a matter of opinion, but they are functionally useless. Many factors dictate why someone will only purchase 2 tires at a time as opposed to 4. I wont get into that. You do what your wallet tells you to. If you are only going to purchase 2 tires the best tires should always go on the front. Your best 2 remaining tires should go to the rear. Then when the time comes (5-6k) rotate them.
Billy

MA

10-12-03, 03:59 PM   #5  
wow!! thanks mike from nj,toyotaman,and bills68ss,
your statements were what i always thought,but thought i might have been out of touch on 'new updates'
been around cars all my life (50years) and i had that red light
go off in my head on the salesman "recommendations. thanks for all your help on this one. brakes and tires i don't take chances.
thanks again all

Visiting Guest

10-12-03, 05:54 PM   #6  
Joe_F
All correct and good advice.

Blow the salesman's mind: Find the TPC spec on the sidewall of your existing tires. Now ask him how the "better" tires meet or exceed that spec and tell him to show you the benefits of how.

When you talk shop with a chump like this, he'll shut up

Visiting Guest

10-12-03, 06:10 PM   #7  
southernwodwkr
The only thing that has not been taken into consideration is the manufacturer sometimes realize they have put the wrong speed rating on a vehicle. other item is not all tire makers make that size tire and maybe just tring to make the sell. I would suggest that you check with some one and see if there is a tsb( technical service bulletin) been issued for your car. or see if your local retailer has the proof to back up his reasoning

MA

10-13-03, 06:21 AM   #8  
thanks, joe_f and southernwodwkr. more good advice.
glad i took the time to check with all you experts.

10-13-03, 08:36 AM   #9  
If the tire label was wrong their would be a recall for that vehicle.

Larry

MA

10-13-03, 09:54 AM   #10  
hello Larry,
checked owners manual and various tire manufactures web sites.
they all call for the P205/65/R15. many tire manufactures have different grade levels for different conditions.
i think it all boils down to the salesman trying to sell more tire
than needed. have bought tires at this establishment before and was happy with the price and service. only thing different this time was a "new salesman".
thanks again

Search this Thread