timing belts on '93 honda prelude

Old 10-12-03, 10:39 PM
locofitter
Visiting Guest
timing belts on '93 honda prelude

Does anyone know where I could find a crankshaft pulley holder tool for a 2.2L SOHC engine? This would be a 50mm hex with a handle and room for a 19mm socket. I am in the Denver area (Lakewood). I hammered at it with an electric impact wrench for quite some to no avail (CCW). I didn't see anything in Chilton indicating that it might be a LH thread. Could that be an ommission?

Old 10-13-03, 04:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is not a left hand thread and your impact may just not have the gumption to pull off the task. I did one of these just the other day and I used an air impact with 600 ft. lbs. reverse torque. That much is not required on most of these bolts b ut some require more. The tool you are referring to is a factory service tool and I have yet to see one on the aftermarket tool suppliers, but of course I havent really looked either. You may be able to check with a dealer and see if they know where you can find it. Type the name or number of the tool in to a search engine and see what you net that way. You could also try http://www.toolsource.com to see what they may have.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 10-13-03, 06:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol.

I have done this in the past, but BE CAREFUL.

Pull the coil wire off or ignition source so the vehicle won't start. Wedge a strong 1/2" breaker bar with the proper socket in there. Make sure it won't move.

Using the key, give a QUICK shot of the key (stay clear). The engine rotation will help you bust it loose. Again QUICK shot of the key.

It works if done right. The Honda tool may be available aftermarket by now as the patent has either expired for it, or some of the aftermarket tool sources have tooled it up and now offer it.

Old 10-14-03, 09:09 PM
locofitter
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info, guys. I made myself a tool from a big nut (2" hex) that I got from an iron worker at my jobsite. Haven't had time to try it out yet but it should do the trick.

Thanks again, Loco

Old 10-14-03, 10:18 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
just a side note, my brother recently replaced a honda timing belt. no 1/2 inch impact gun would break it loose, no wrench or breaker bar resting on the frame and 'holding' the starter 'on' would break it loose. he even bent/twisted my 6 inch extension trying to bust it loose with a pipe on the ratchet, until the socket broke.

he finally took my 'copper pipe' soldering torch and heated the bolt for a good minute and the impact gun took it right out.

some honda engines are reverse rotation, this one was not.

look at the belts from the front---if they spin counter clockwise, i bet the bolt is left hand thread. if it spins clockwise, the bolt can only be normal threaded.

you see how tight this bolt needs to be when your done, to prevent damage by loosening up.

let us know

Old 10-15-03, 09:02 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I had a really tight one on a 91 CRX. A really good impact would not touch it. I made a holder from a piece of 3/4" square steel tubing that was 2 1/2' long. You can use larger tubing if you want. I drilled two 7/16" holes in it that matched the spacing in the holes in the pulley. The first hole was 1 1/8" from the end and the other hole was 1 3/8" from the first one. I took 2 7/16" bolts that were just long enough to go through the tubing and the holes in the pulley and then put a nut on the engine side of the pulley. The 3/4" tubing then rested up against the frame or control arm or something I don't remember exactly what but it was solid. I then put a piece of pipe over my 1/2" breaker bar and removed the nut.

They do not have to be anywhere near this tight. Just check the torque spec.

I thought I would never get it off, but my home made holder worked slick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: