Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Won't start

PA

10-13-03, 10:47 AM   #1  
Won't start

1979 Olds Cutlass, 305 4 barrel, 350 tranny

When I turn the key I get a single click and then nothing. I used the GM manual to troubleshoot with a DMM. Conclusion was bad starter.

I replaced the starter and it worked for 1 day. It is now in the Wal Mart lot and has the same symptoms as before I replaced the starter. Lights are strong, won't jump.

I just replaced both battery cables and it didn't help. The positive cable has a ground wire, the original didn't, what should I ground this to?

Manual only discusses bad starter or cables. Where do I go from here? Could the new starter be defective? It won't jump with a screwdriver between the battery wire terminal and the ignition terminal on the solenoid either. Or, should I be looking elsewhere.

Thanks,

Sherm

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-13-03, 11:47 AM   #2  
Joe_F
If the starter wasn't a GM/Delco marketed rebuilt one, return it and buy one from the parts store that deals in Delco.

Rap on the starter body with a hammer (don't go ape) and if the starter works, the starter is bad and do as instructed above.

The vehicle is negatively grounded, so I'm not sure of your question on the positive cable. Most aftermarket cables are not really geared strictly negative or positive. They are sold on gauge size and length. What's positive in one application is negative in another they catalog it for.

GM's usually have fusible links going to the starter, make sure that's intact too.

10-13-03, 02:21 PM   #3  
That loose wire needs to remain hanging loose if you ground it you will see lots of smoke.

PA

10-13-03, 04:59 PM   #4  
Yea, I suspected that. I'd never seen a ground on the hot wire before. Thanks for the info.

Sherm

PA

10-14-03, 01:30 PM   #5  
I pulled the starter and it tested bad. Ordered an AC/Delco starter. Hopefully that will fix it.

Sherm

Visiting Guest

10-14-03, 01:37 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Ya, some off the shelf parts store starters are poorly remaned. The Delco should fix it.

Search this Thread